Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2015, 08:16 PM

Re: No Motivation to Exercise

Exercise is NOT going to fix the problem. In fact it could easily exacerbate it. OP says he is already 50 pounds overweight and that is surely due to the types of food being eaten. Exercising will expend more energy requiring him to subsequently eat more food to supply that energy. Eating more bad food is going to ultimately make things worse. What has to happen is a permanent change in the understanding of what foods are good and bad a permanent change to good foods.

The exercising will happen naturally as soon as the body has an abundance of energy. When you are "full of beans" you can not help but get up and go do something, just watch any young child, they just can not keep still. Adults tend to have less "beans" due to poor diet and so feel lethargic. Exercising in this state won't change that. Good diet is essential first. Everything else follows naturally from there, better energy levels, better quality of sleep, natural desire to do things and loss of weight.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2015, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Exercising will expend more energy requiring him to subsequently eat more food to supply that energy.
Sometimes when I've been to my exercise class I eat less.
I never eat more.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2015, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

When you sleep your body is burning energy and thus you are literally losing weight whilst doing zero exercise.

But surely if you were awake you'd be burning even more calories...
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2015, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
But surely if you were awake you'd be burning even more calories...
Depends what you are doing.

The major difference when sleeping is that during all those hours you are fasting. So energy is being expended without you taking in any additional energy, hence you lose weight.

What you ate beforehand appears to have an effect on what the body does when you are asleep as does the length of time you sleep for. It changes whether the body burns calories or fat.

In a study exploring the effect of sleep loss on metabolism, two groups of adults followed a calorie-restricted diet, but each group got different amounts of sleep. Everyone lost about the same amount of weight, but the group that got less sleep -- 5.5 hours each night -- lost 60 percent more muscle and 55 percent less fat. By comparison, the group that slept 8.5 hours lost more fat than muscle, according to a report in the Annals of Internal Medicine in 2010. The researchers concluded that sufficient sleep helps maintain lean muscle

We should try and get about 7-8 hours of good sleep each night.
Ian Haines
Merseyside, UK
Ian Haines is male  Ian Haines has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2015, 12:56 AM

You're experiencing what I call "Anti-wanting" and then "Anti-doing"!

My signature on a lot of forums, years ago, was...

"Sometimes, you must do in order to want-to-do!"

It's true, too.

Ian.
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2015, 02:05 AM

If you get into regular exercise you can reset your metabolism to a degree. Of course as we get older we hold the weight more too. But even half an hour of walking daily can make a difference. I suggest a dog
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2015, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Enquire about over 50's classes at your local leisure centre. At mine they do a Circuits which is good fun. It involves spending a minute doing different activities - stepping up & over a step - push ups against a wall - air boxing etc. You just move round in a circle from one thing to the next. Lots of giggles and chat.

Another thing that is really good exercise is aqua fit in the pool. You don't need to be able to swim as it takes place in the shallow end. Why not make enquiries at your local centre or look online for details.

Exercise doesn't have to be boring.
True .....
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2015, 06:57 AM

For years we got up early had a quick breakfast and rushed of to work, some probably doing the same repetitive work day in day out.
Think we did get bored a bit and long for the day when we could relax more, what do we do now, we eat more because we get bored.
A good idea is to get up when your body tells you, have a good breakfast and pop out for a walk for an hour or two, probably taking in your local coffee shop for a coffee, it soon becomes an habit but a good habit.
You haven't sat down put the TV on but what you have done is stoked up and exercised.
This can be a good habit whether you are overweight or not, it is about getting into a routine again after 50 odd years of doing just that.
I found my Ipod the best thing I have ever had, that and my small pocket Dab radio, they accompany me every morning, sadly my health not being what it used to be I am getting restricted, I just get my walk around the village and taking in the coffee shop.
Make exercise an habit, but don't make it boring and remember give up fatty foods and sugar if you can and you will be surprised how the weight will drop off.
You can always take a camera with you and enjoy, you don't have to strip off into shorts and vests, nice if you can but I get the idea not many on here would take it that far.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2015, 04:18 PM

You need a goal. My goal for next year is to run the Snowdonia Marathon ...

For this I intend to lose a stone and up my mileage to around 60-70 miles a week.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2015, 05:05 PM

Good luck with that MKJ...and good to see You posting again

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top