Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 08:51 AM

Re: Escape to the country

I’d hate to be so isolated. I love my shops and am glad I can walk to a few, or get a bus. I do need a car for the retail parks but I use them while I can.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Tony watches it.
I think they're all repeats though!
Hi Carol many are not repeats at the moment and were recorded in 2020 (it says so when the price is posted) with some social distancing people traveling in their own cars and viewing upstair alone in some instances . I think the new series number is 39.
I record the episodes and watch it in the evenings and while ironing weeding out any repeats.

The thing that strikes me now is the amount people have to spend on a house, it used to be around £250.000 now it can be up to a million.

I love seeing different parts of the country some of which I know well
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 09:19 AM

I have actually escaped to the country its wrong to say its just the older generation who move out ...The Covid epidemic has proved to companies that working from home has its advantages and is workable. More young people who no longer have to commute daily especially with young families are moving out for a more rural life hence lots of house building is going on. I must admit if I were starting over I would move with a young family too.....its completely different than in the city and as long as you can access transport when needed...whats not to like.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 11:48 AM

We moved to up here in Constable Country (oh the irony!) from Epping where we had been living in 1990. Epping is, or was, a very nice town to the North of Epping forest so the change wasn't exactly earth shattering but obviously there were changes. Fortunately we held off selling our "old" house in Epping while getting essential changes done in our "new" place so that when we did move in (Oct 20th!) essentials were done. However since moving in we've continued with changes and improvements so that for us there has not been a culture shock but I would guess that for most there would be.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 12:26 PM

I'm surprised to see older couples moving to quite isolated areas. They don't seem to realise that all that land needs maintaining and they're almost totally dependent on driving everywhere,
Towns are much more suitable for the elderly where there are plenty of shops, good public transport and adequate medical facilities. Social and leisure opportunities too. Escaping to the country must be quite boring once the novelty wears off especially from October to May.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
I'm surprised to see older couples moving to quite isolated areas. They don't seem to realise that all that land needs maintaining and they're almost totally dependent on driving everywhere,
Towns are much more suitable for the elderly where there are plenty of shops, good public transport and adequate medical facilities. Social and leisure opportunities too. Escaping to the country must be quite boring once the novelty wears off especially from October to May.
Horses for courses. The things you mention in particular medical facilities were high on the tick box list. But as you point out it's important to prioritise other things that are.

Sorta same with boring in the country, in some isolated ex-farm house or even worse barn conversion I fully agree, at least it would be for us!

HOWEVER for us living cheek by jowl with nature makes boredom very unlikely. I've mentioned how so many things now see us as part of their food chain and how many are now "finger-tame" and it's hard to be bored with blackbirds knocking on the window demanding nosh etc!

In the village that we live on the very borders of there's a CB "net" been established that most everyone uses just to matter on, spread shocking rumours and assorted crap on, and one old fart regularly preaches the gospels on. There's even a pagan working circle most nights on - in short lots of social contacts without leaving home! And so much more.
But --- you've got to fit in and not expect people to accept your way.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 01:08 PM

Its one of my favourite programmes. I love home buying programmes
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 01:37 PM

I enjoy it too, Queenie.
There are so many beautiful properties available if you've got the dosh - but it's nice to dream.

I love the views most of them have. I would dearly love to have nice views from my windows, preferably of the sea.
For many years I have wanted to live somewhere with a sea view, but can't see it happening now.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 01:55 PM

Some of those houses make me drool lol. I would be wanting a big kitchen and a big living room, can't bare those tiny wee places where you struggle to get elbow room.
Seldom see any up in the Scottish Highlands though.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 01:56 PM

We are Escaping to the County. Being realistic, with health problems, I've been referring to this list

https://www.newsweek.com/best-hospit...united-kingdom

Somewhere close to #11 or #12 will do us.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top