Join for free
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 03:58 PM

Over The Top?

I was down in Perth a couple of weeks ago and I got really wound up about all the dogs being stolen while out with their owners, it's been praying on my mind a lot as the influx of people are arriving up here daily, who's to say dog thieves are not posing as tourists. I bought a wee personal alarm with a very loud voice, also a wee can of colourant spray......bright red. Takes about a weeks scrubbing before it comes off, it's to let the police know who's the guilty party, I would have no worries giving someone a face full if they tried to get Dageus. Nothing at all harmful in it.
Am I taking all this too much to heart and going way OTT?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 04:08 PM

Re: Over The Top?

No I don't think you are, Roxy...you are protecting your dog (and yourself) without bringing assault charges on yourself (you know what the police are like!) I like the idea of the spray, its good to have in any event, not just when out with the dog.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I was down in Perth a couple of weeks ago and I got really wound up about all the dogs being stolen while out with their owners, it's been praying on my mind a lot as the influx of people are arriving up here daily, who's to say dog thieves are not posing as tourists. I bought a wee personal alarm with a very loud voice, also a wee can of colourant spray......bright red. Takes about a weeks scrubbing before it comes off, it's to let the police know who's the guilty party, I would have no worries giving someone a face full if they tried to get Dageus. Nothing at all harmful in it.

NO, you're not, Roxy, and I have been discussing with my friend about getting a personal alarm for the same reason as you.

Can you let me know (pm if you'd rather) which type of alarm you got please, and a link about the spray too?

All this really does worry me, so thanks.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 04:14 PM

so now you have sprayed your dog with bright red paint as well?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

Not if you aim at the thief!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 04:33 PM

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 05:04 PM

People in Thailand (perhaps other places, as well) do that so as to alert people that their dogs are not strays to be scooped up and used as meat.

You do whatever you need to do to feel safe and to make Daegus safe, just remember that if you spray the wrong person, you could be the one charged. I would check with your local police authorities on the legalities of the face spray, Roxy.

Something to consider might be a personally mounted camera and harness. My BIL has one that he uses for mountain climbing. There are many available, but here is one:

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 09:16 PM

Not at all, I carry a metal pen in my pocket (not illegal).
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 09:20 PM

I have been thinking about this a lot recently. Mrs LD is missing out on walks with our dog because we are too worried about dog theft. We only walk him together these days.

I was thinking that local communities could set up dog walking groups so that there is safety in numbers (The dogs would have to get along with each other obviously)

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top