Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 06:05 PM

Help me to catch a scammer who got £50K from a widow!

This is a strange request but, in the last week I turned on my TV and watched a programme about a widowed lady who met a man on the internet & he managed to con her out of £50K.
My problem is that I can't remember the name of the programme or which channel it was on.... so I am hoping one of you may have seen it & can tell me.

Why do I ask?

Well the man used a fake photo , which they showed on TV, and I have now been approached by a man from Ontario who's photo looks almost identical.
I won't be conned by him, but he was never caught so I may continue chatting to him and advise the people who made the programme, in the hope they can catch him.

I know there is a very slim chance that any of you saw this programme, but if you did, can you please tell me so I can let them know that I may be in touch with him.
The lady was plump, had blonde hair and was probably in her late 50's. She may have been silly to believe him but she was lonely, having lost her husband, & she has now lost all the money which was probably from his life insurance.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 06:13 PM

Re: Help me to catch a scammer who got £50K from a widow!

You take care Twink, these b*****ds are damn good at what they do. I didn't watch the programme though. Sorry.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
You take care Twink, these b*****ds are damn good at what they do. I didn't watch the programme though. Sorry.
Thanks for caring Roxy, but don't worry I have had about 30 of them removed from another forum in the past & even persuaded one to phone me on a mobile that I never normally used... all the way from Turkey.

Even if they catch him I doubt the woman will get her money back, but it may stop him doing the same thing to somebody else!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Thanks for caring Roxy, but don't worry I have had about 30 of them removed from another forum in the past & even persuaded one to phone me on a mobile that I never normally used... all the way from Turkey.

Even if they catch him I doubt the woman will get her money back, but it may stop him doing the same thing to somebody else!
You think? Good luck with that one.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 06:41 PM

I am worried you are playing with fire here, Twink....and I'm not sure this is such a good idea to try and snare him. If he conned 50K out of that women, he is obviously a sneaky Bstrd who can wheedle anything out of anyone....I haven't seen the programme anyway, but just be careful. I don't know why you are taking this on, to be blunt.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
This is a strange request but, in the last week I turned on my TV and watched a programme about a widowed lady who met a man on the internet & he managed to con her out of £50K.
My problem is that I can't remember the name of the programme or which channel it was on.... so I am hoping one of you may have seen it & can tell me.

Why do I ask?

Well the man used a fake photo , which they showed on TV, and I have now been approached by a man from Ontario who's photo looks almost identical.
I won't be conned by him, but he was never caught so I may continue chatting to him and advise the people who made the programme, in the hope they can catch him.

I know there is a very slim chance that any of you saw this programme, but if you did, can you please tell me so I can let them know that I may be in touch with him.
The lady was plump, had blonde hair and was probably in her late 50's. She may have been silly to believe him but she was lonely, having lost her husband, & she has now lost all the money which was probably from his life insurance.

How did this man approach you?....from where? Yes,I know he’s from Ontario...was it on FB?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 06:51 PM

Was it with Kim Marsh? Most probably called For Love or Money. These are repeats and used to be shown earlier in the mornings on BBC1. I just can’t understand how stupid these people have been.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 06:56 PM

Was it perhaps Crimewatch or Rip Of Britain? Those are the ones that come to my mind first.

If the scammer used a fake photo, then they may have used the photo of the person who has contacted you so that person may be quite innocent.

Have you heard of, or had a look on 419eater.com? They bait scammers and may be able to guide you.

As others have said. Take great care. Some of these scammers can be quite vicious.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 07:02 PM

Twink, sounds like it was the 'Tonight' programme.

They did a two night programme this week (Thurs & Frid) on scammers.

As Pauline just asked, how did he contact you?

And as others have said, I don't think its a good idea to play with this bloke. What protection have you got if things go pear-shaped?

Leave it to the professionals.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 07:10 PM

Hi

I think our Twink is more than capable of dealing with a scammer and is far too clever to meet someone without everything in place.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top