Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 08:27 AM

Re: house prices jump

The 'stamp duty holiday' hasn't helped. And we come out of lockdown wanting a fresh start, but others are doing the same.

It's quite extraordinary: a credit crunch, austerity, a messy break with the EU, now things are looking up, London prices are always the first to go up, the rest of the country follows, but not this time. And we all know why that is ... as mentioned above we need more space, a breath of fresh air ...

We've got our place here in London on the market, no one's interested. We have our eyes on bigger better properties out in the shire, but they are getting snapped up.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 08:35 AM

I think the stamp duty holiday has encouraged people to move as its a massive saving an moving costs....demand has outpaced supply which has pushed up prices. I don't think the dynamics will change anytime soon however when the stamp duty holiday finishes in September there might be a minor blip...you never can tell. Property is still a very safe and lucrative investment.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

No such huge movements around here in general, it is very focused.

Housing is just a cost, it takes money out of the economy.
Increase the GDP Per Capita and you increase the 'Real' GDP: nothing but good for the economy.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

12-05-2021, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think the stamp duty holiday has encouraged people to move as its a massive saving an moving costs....demand has outpaced supply which has pushed up prices. I don't think the dynamics will change anytime soon however when the stamp duty holiday finishes in September there might be a minor blip...you never can tell. Property is still a very safe and lucrative investment.
Yes, but, do we need these blips? Artificial stimuli ...?

I know it worked for you summer and I'm pleased. But it's causing chaos for others. 😐 And what if you budget for zero stamp duty then miss the deadline?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Yes, but, do we need these blips? Artificial stimuli ...?

I know it worked for you summer and I'm pleased. But it's causing chaos for others. 😐 And what if you budget for zero stamp duty then miss the deadline?
Its coming back in a phased way so that might cushion any adverse reaction....hope you sell soon dood ....selling houses is stressful. I'm unusual in that I love moving I think I must have gypsy in me.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 09:01 AM

A newly built house in our hamlet with a tiny garden, overlooking the graveyard and overhung by yew trees so dark, no view except a tall hedge on one side and the graves on the other is for sale at £1.25 million

Note the tiny garden and all those windows look into the dark back of the church and graves...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capturehouse.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	15495  
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

12-05-2021, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Its coming back in a phased way so that might cushion any adverse reaction....hope you sell soon dood ....selling houses is stressful. I'm unusual in that I love moving I think I must have gypsy in me.
Yeah thanks. It's phased is it? It won't make a huge difference to us either way. We are mortgage-free, buying for less that we can afford, no pressure.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 09:24 AM

On zoopla it states ours has gone up 40% since we bought it in June 2014 , an increase of £163,000. First time buyers stand no chance around here and we are not the most expensive in the area, Go the other side (sea side) of the main road and your looking at £1m+, absolutely stupid prices
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 09:34 AM

It’s true house prices have gone through the roof. The village I live in has turned into Little London with families desperate to leave the capital. Demand has outstripped availability. I sold my house in 36 hours. As I am downsizing to the seaside it’s winner winner chicken dinner.

However it is the housing market that will that will lead the country out the of the dire financial situation by creating jobs.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 09:40 AM

It's the same here 'out in the rural sticks', 'For Sale' signs go up and within a week (often less) the 'Sold' sign takes its place. Land anywhere is being built on too, which is not always good, the necessary infrastructure is just not there.

All this is only 'paper money' anyway and always has been. The only real winners are estate agents and solicitors. The former we can do without by selling privately, the latter though are always the winners. Solicitors and their £300 an hour fees cannot be avoided.

Recently I checked on prices where I used to live, just 25 miles from London. A four-bed semi-detached house, one known to me, was priced at £1.2 million – a semi-detached! It's located in a 'sought-after' area but nothing that special!

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top