Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 06:49 AM

Re: has anyone grown cucumbers....

Yesterday in the shop, regular sized cucumbers 42p, larger ones 49p. Other than the satisfaction and enjoyment out of growing them yourself it hardly seems worth it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Yesterday in the shop, regular sized cucumbers 42p, larger ones 49p. Other than the satisfaction and enjoyment out of growing them yourself it hardly seems worth it.
Growing your own is very rarely cost effective Baz, we grow for the pleasure of growing, and for me there is nothing more satisfying than going into the garden, picking something off of a plant then preparing it and eating it, there is no better taste anywhere!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
in a pot indoors?? This is the current plan as otherwise the slugs just devour anything outside. It's looking promising so far but does anyone (who has tried this) have any tips for encouraging cucumber growth (other than sweet nothings whispered in their general direction!)
Hi Annie, I grow mini cucumbers in the greenhouse border and they invariably do very well, but growing in a pot is perfectly fine as long as the pot is big enough, that you keep it well watered and that you use a tomato feed once a week when the fruit is set. They are also quite vigorous plants so they will also need support of some sort that you can tie the stems to as they grow. 😊

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Growing your own is very rarely cost effective Baz, we grow for the pleasure of growing, and for me there is nothing more satisfying than going into the garden, picking something off of a plant then preparing it and eating it, there is no better taste anywhere!
I know what you mean, today it's far different from years ago though. My father used to grow all the fruit and veg. for a family of four, in those days (early 1950s) it probably was cost-effective as there were no supermarkets. The taste of that fruit and veg. when freshly picked was so good though, all these years later that can still be remembered. Nowadays though with supermarkets and their prices, by buying in the quantities they do, plus the awful weather this year and last year too, I guess it's going to be even less cost-effective.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 10:56 AM

My two 10 year old grandchildren grew cucumbers last year in a trough on legs against a south facing wall. The cucumbers weren't huge but they were delicious .
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 06:53 PM

Try these. Cucumber Grafted Mini Star from Suttons I grow them in a pot every year, large crop and just the right size for a salad with no waste, Tip put some slices in a sandwich with basil leaves...a brilliant taste
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 07:52 PM

Barry I have had cucumber envy ever since I saw that photo of your luscious crop. Very impressive. I wonder if it would work if I tried to grow them on the extension flat roof in a frame - after all how high can slugs climb?

Vlad I have never tried the combination of basil and cucumber sandwiches. Sounds terribly posh.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My two 10 year old grandchildren grew cucumbers last year in a trough on legs against a south facing wall. The cucumbers weren't huge but they were delicious .
Ah that's lovely - they must have inherited your green fingers Meg. I must get the compass out - perhaps it's all down to positioning.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Barry I have had cucumber envy ever since I saw that photo of your luscious crop. Very impressive. I wonder if it would work if I tried to grow them on the extension flat roof in a frame - after all how high can slugs climb?

Vlad I have never tried the combination of basil and cucumber sandwiches. Sounds terribly posh.
Nah, very tasty though, Alan Titmarsh showed it on one programme
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-05-2021, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Nah, very tasty though, Alan Titmarsh showed it on one programme
I'm not sure whether Tit is posh. But some think he is tasty

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top