Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 10:24 PM

Re: Football.

Why do footballers always need to spit?
The pitch must be drenched by the end of the season! Or is that why the pitch grass is always green and lush?
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 10:43 PM

I think we should run an on line course on how to use the remote channel changer and off button.
Do people still pay the BBC to watch football these days
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Why do footballers always need to spit?
The pitch must be drenched by the end of the season! Or is that why the pitch grass is always green and lush?
One reason is physiological. Whenever someone is physically exhausted they tend to produce more saliva which they either spit out or swallow. Footballers do the former.

And here's an overlap with the second reason: it looks cool and masculine and gives the spitter an image of defying other players as well as a feeling of superiority. This body language is so important that young boys start doing that on the pitch at a very young age even if they did not exhaust themselves.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 12:50 PM

You just made that up
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
One reason is physiological. Whenever someone is physically exhausted they tend to produce more saliva which they either spit out or swallow. Footballers do the former.

And here's an overlap with the second reason: it looks cool and masculine and gives the spitter an image of defying other players as well as a feeling of superiority. This body language is so important that young boys start doing that on the pitch at a very young age even if they did not exhaust themselves.

Not sure about your reasoning there Dachs? Cool and masculine?

If that is the case, why don't we ever see joggers spitting on the pavements, or tennis players gobbing on the courts or people in the Olympics spitting everywhere?

Footballers have a lot of habits that could do with a change, as I see it.

For another example, why don't jockeys, swimmers, tennis players, or any other sports people jump on each other like a pair of mating frogs every chance they get?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 01:03 PM

I hate football and im so glad I'm married to a man who doesn't like football either
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Not sure about your reasoning there Dachs? Cool and masculine?

If that is the case, why don't we ever see joggers spitting on the pavements, or tennis players gobbing on the courts or people in the Olympics spitting everywhere?

Footballers have a lot of habits that could do with a change, as I see it.

For another example, why don't jockeys, swimmers, tennis players, or any other sports people jump on each other like a pair of mating frogs every chance they get?
First off, you can't compare or rather equate tennis and football. At least over here, tennis is despised by the majority of hard-core football fans because they want it loud and tennis fans enjoy the exact opposite. One example is that the first thing those crowds do if they want to show their contempt and criticism of any changes or whatsoever, they throw - guess what - hundreds of tennis balls onto the pitch. The message is plain: This is football and not tennis.
Secondly, the culture of the two sports differs. Spectators differ. More often than not, you wouldn't see hard-core football fans in tennis courts. The different culture also has to do with football being a team sport and tennis being played by individual players with fewer rituals than seem to be necessary in team sports.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 01:30 PM

OK, so perhaps tennis players don't get as exhausted as football players, but you did say . . . . . "Whenever someone is physically exhausted they tend to produce more saliva which they either spit out or swallow."

So why don't we see marathon runners, joggers, Rugby players, Basket ball players etc, spitting everywhere?
What has it being 'a team sport' got to do with anything?

I agree with you about the mentality of many football supporters being 'different' to other sports fans though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-05-2021, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I hate football and im so glad I'm married to a man who doesn't like football either

Queenie, I can fully understand your sentiments there.

I was married to a football fan. He followed 'his' team all his life.
It used to drive me bonkers how he would go off to a match every Saturday, then come home and watch it all over again on the telly! I wasn't allowed to watch anything else.
Dachs
Germany

16-05-2021, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
OK, so perhaps tennis players don't get as exhausted as football players, but you did say . . . . . "Whenever someone is physically exhausted they tend to produce more saliva which they either spit out or swallow."

So why don't we see marathon runners, joggers, Rugby players, Basket ball players etc, spitting everywhere?
What has it being 'a team sport' got to do with anything?

I agree with you about the mentality of many football supporters being 'different' to other sports fans though.
I wouldn't say that tennis players are less exhausted than football players. So that's not the reason. Running, jogging, and tennis are individual sports with a different culture. I'm a jogger myself and I admit that I also spit sometimes when I'm physically exhausted. But it makes a difference whether you make a point of doing so ostentatiously when being watched by millions of people or whether you do it kind of embarrassingly when alone in the wood or on your course.
It all depends on whether something is an accepted part of a culture or not. In football it is, in indoor sports like basketball or handball it's not. Rugby as an outdoor sport seems to be a borderline case. No rule without exception.
Team sports are specific and differ from individual sports. As someone doing an individual sport you can hardly blame a defeat on anyone else than yourself. You rise and fall with what you, and you only, accomplish. In team sports, however, where individual responsibility is not that clear, it is possible to blame other team members if things go wrong. You have the whole range of issues like group dynamics with its interdependence, recognition by others, status, power, etc.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top