Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 07:24 AM

Re: Doing Something

Originally Posted by bret ->
the theravada thai monks teach simple watching the breathe meditation akin to what iz yuz talkin about - simple not bloody likely - try sitting crossed legs at our ages - back held straight eyes closed - no music and just "watching" the movement of breathe as it navigates the nostrils. but with perseverance i did practice it for a few years it does work - sitting in an armchair - no you may nod off - sitting back straight keeps you awake - rhyming monks too - they also warn about avoiding or ignoring "the chattering of the monkeys" those constant thought conversations that are continually passing through your mind like "did I forget to turn off the gas?" "what shall I buy for tea" etc - in time it is peaceful and the b/p drops ; you become calm and relaxed but also refreshed - but heh nothing comes without a price in this world - in this case stamina - mental stamina!

are you doing nothing - not really if you were you'd be dead - you are transcending!

No that's not what I'm talking about at all mate. Just a comfortable chair in a quiet room and asked to be left alone for 20-30 minutes. A simple "mantra" to repeat to yourself if you want. Or some nice peaceful music..no lyrics! That's it. Have you heard Lyle Mays?..Much of his music is perfect for it. Look him up. Here's a sample

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdjPyXWfhNY
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 09:11 AM

When I belonged to the North London Judo club in Edgware, back in 1963, our Sensei (leader/teacher) encouraged and taught us many aspects of Yoga. I have found that mentally stimulating while the judo itself was physically useful.
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

17-05-2021, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
No that's not what I'm talking about at all mate. Just a comfortable chair in a quiet room and asked to be left alone for 20-30 minutes. A simple "mantra" to repeat to yourself if you want. Or some nice peaceful music..no lyrics! That's it. Have you heard Lyle Mays?..Much of his music is perfect for it. Look him up. Here's a sample

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdjPyXWfhNY
each man to his own - like the music don't get me wrong but I was taught therevada meditation by trained monks so no music - and whilst the music is nice it can take the mind on endless journeys don't you think?
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Is it better to be doing something, to be not doing something?
It's good to have a change.
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

17-05-2021, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You know bret, I ain't heard the term St Vitas Dance since 07/06/1987, 11.06am if I remember right.
oh bejeesus and bejamieous - took many a gal to a st vitus dance on a saturday night - and ya know she just wouldn't keep still all night - feck it used to annoy me rather!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 09:23 AM

I’m just... getting busy doing nothing!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by bret ->
each man to his own - like the music don't get me wrong but I was taught therevada meditation by trained monks so no music - and whilst the music is nice it can take the mind on endless journeys don't you think?
I agree about no music bret, I try for no external input whatsoever...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 11:54 AM

I am never doing nothing. I am always doing something.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 12:28 PM

Sure yes to all. Its so personal. It has to suit you. Thats all that matters.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I am never doing nothing. I am always doing something.

Me too, Tiff, whether by will or necessity. A worker bee, I am. Only when I fall into bed so very late at night. It was five years before I once sat on the new sofa in the living room.

Sometimes I wonder whether or not very rich, self-made people ever truly enjoy the fruits of their success (mansions, yachts, planes, vacation homes) because they can't slow down enough to take it all in - or just be.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top