Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 10:54 PM

Re: Help for speeding.

Originally Posted by carol ->
Last week I got another speeding fine - not the first!!

I know there are gadgets you can get that warn you when you're speeding or when you're near a speed camera. I don't know anything about these & would like a bit of help please.

Do you use anything to control your speeding & what?
Lighter shoes.
A pedestrian is more likely to suffer considerable injury being hit at 40 mph than at 30 mph
A child has no chance.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Thanks for that very comprehensive explanation Bruce. So now I know that if I stick with the car's speedo reading, I should always be within the speed limit!
I don't know which year those design rules came in in Europe but you can be sure it was a lot earlier than here however if you are driving an old vehicle then the design rules used to be plus or minus 10% so your speedo could actually be reading low if your car is old enough.

I find those radar warnings they have at road works are fairly accurate so if you don't have a sat nav then that should give you an idea of how slow or fast your speedo is compared to the real speed if you have an older car. I wouldn't rely on just one speed warning sign though I'd check it through several.

What is interesting is that the design rules specifically ban sat navs as the car's installed speedo. At the moment my son is driving using a special sat nav speedo as his only speed indicator because the sensor has failed on his car so the speedo doesn't work. I presume he will keep it this way until either the police see it and defect his car or the next rego check.
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 07:17 AM

Yes, I can believe that, the sneaky bastards. I remember reading about a fellow who had stopped at a red light when an ambulance came up behind, all blues and twos, so he carefully drove through the red light and up onto the pavement to allow it past (he didn't actually cross the junction). He was caught on camera and fined, and even lost on appeal when he explained the situation
That's very unfortunate to put it mildly. The same happened to me once but they wouldn't fine me because the ambulance was caught on camera, too, some seconds later so that the police knew what was happening.
If they had tried to fine me, though, I'd have told them to check with the rescue service which ambulance was on duty at which time on that particular day and they'd have learnt that I was just giving way to it.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 08:57 AM

Yes, I can believe that, the sneaky bastards. I remember reading about a fellow who had stopped at a red light when an ambulance came up behind, all blues and twos, so he carefully drove through the red light and up onto the pavement to allow it past (he didn't actually cross the junction). He was caught on camera and fined, and even lost on appeal when he explained the situation
You are not allowed to break the law even when you are trying to do the right thing , you cannot let an emergency vehicle past if it means you
Going through a red light
Entering a bus lane
Entering a yellow box junction
Emergency vehicle drivers know you can’t break the law and shouldn’t be sat in a queue at a red light with their sirens and lights going, try not to panic if an emergency vehicle comes up behind you whilst driving, with its lights and sirens going, nor should you speed up resulting in exceeding the speed limit, pull over when it is safe and legal to do so
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 11:31 PM

If they are stationary you must slow down

Easy as...
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 09:17 AM

I'm very ashamed of myself for speeding.

I remember on my last speed awareness course being told you could injure a child if you hit them at 30 mph but if you hit them at 40mph you could kill them.

In my own defense I do not speed in built up areas - only when there's a clear & open road!

Anyway I'm going to Halfords today to collect a Garmin Drive Smart to control my speeding. It bleeps if I'm going too fast.
Hopefully I won't be getting any more speeding fines once this little gadget is installed.

Thanks for all your replies & advice.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 09:25 AM

It may be a good idea to get into the habit of using your speedometer as well, Carol. Better safe than sorry.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
That's very unfortunate to put it mildly. The same happened to me once but they wouldn't fine me because the ambulance was caught on camera, too, some seconds later so that the police knew what was happening.
If they had tried to fine me, though, I'd have told them to check with the rescue service which ambulance was on duty at which time on that particular day and they'd have learnt that I was just giving way to it.
That's as it should be.

But you must realise that Germany is a more logical country than the UK. Our forte is bureaucracy!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
You are not allowed to break the law even when you are trying to do the right thing , you cannot let an emergency vehicle past if it means you
Going through a red light
Entering a bus lane
Entering a yellow box junction
Emergency vehicle drivers know you can’t break the law and shouldn’t be sat in a queue at a red light with their sirens and lights going, try not to panic if an emergency vehicle comes up behind you whilst driving, with its lights and sirens going, nor should you speed up resulting in exceeding the speed limit, pull over when it is safe and legal to do so
So not entering a bus lane takes priority over trying to save some poor sod's life?

British bureaucracy at its best.

Watch those police documentaries, whilst the police are chasing a criminal and a car gets in their way:
"Come on! Shift! Get across! (into a bus lane)"
and I'm sure ambulance drivers say the same.

But no. The mindless bureaucrats in charge of the cameras don't give a toss about practicalities or the lives of the public. They have their rules and the rules say you are guilty and you must pay them their fines.

What a country we live in.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
It may be a good idea to get into the habit of using your speedometer as well, Carol. Better safe than sorry.
Yes of course I glance at it occasionally but in the few minutes between glances my speed could go up by a few miles & I could get caught on camera.

I also believe it's best to keep my eyes on the road.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top