Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 10:00 AM

Re: Roberts Rambles 2

Originally Posted by peripheral ->
Interesting pics Robert. Wish I could do the walks with you. Unfortunately my walking days are over. I look forward to more of your photos. Peri.
Thanks Peri, I'll do my best to keep you entertained with my adventures and help to bring back some good memories for you I'm sure. Thanks for looking in....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 01:16 PM

got yer legs art for the gals ya did,*****wolf whistle*****

OOoops, I might get arrested for being sexist.......oh what the heck, I'm still whistling anyway
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
got yer legs art for the gals ya did,*****wolf whistle*****

OOoops, I might get arrested for being sexist.......oh what the heck, I'm still whistling anyway
I'd get me legs out anytime for you Lion Queen....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 02:31 PM

What a treat!

That looks like a fine course, so lushly green! I forget that one of the advantages of your cooler latitude, longer indirect sun, and fairly copious precipitation makes for that lush, lush green that shows up in all OFF photos. Gorgeous!

That's a lovely path that parallels the canal, are there trails and improved paths along most trails? I could run forever, if so. Very appealing.

I am sure it is a relief to see tax investment return in infrastructure. When I look at that crossing with the massive gates, I keep thinking how in years past, when common sense didn't have to be legislated. The survival part of me (ever wanting an escape route) wonders if those gates could likewise be used to keep people from crossing in a siege or attack? Let's just hope it never gets to that!

You are looking fit as a fiddle, Bob! Great job with the bridge shot too, I hope that goes into your log of travels.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-05-2021, 03:15 PM

Thanks Surfermom, it's always good to hear your comments, especially because you can see and feel the same things that I can see and feel....
Yes, it was looking a little bit brown from a very dry spring (it's becoming a regular thing just lately) until about three weeks ago when the prevailing Westerlies blew in several depressions and it's hardly stopped raining since. Although my lawns are looking good...
A lot of the canals have towpaths down one side, because in the old days the barges were horse drawn, I can't remember the horses, but I do remember when canal traffic was at it's height and it was full of coal laden barges and * 'Tom Puddings' * distributing coal the length and breadth of the England. A lot would end up at Hull, a major port, to be shipped abroad. Some canals have been restored but it's mainly pleasure craft that uses them now. I actually learnt to swim in the local canal when there would be a villate fete once a year with greasy pole walking and swimming races along the canal.

*Tom Puddings were like the waggons on a train, massive square floating containers being towed by the barges. They would sometimes stretch for hundreds of yards behind the barge. The village where I lived had a coal mine where all the locals worked. There was a sort of cable car arrangement from the pit to the canal side where the Tom puddings would be filled from the endless chain of buckets from the coal wash plant.
when I stayed at grandma's house I could see them from my bedroom window, and spent hours watching them transporting their load of coal to the dock. Fascinating to watch.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top