Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 02:49 PM

Roberts Rambles 3

Mrs Fox left on the early bus this morning to take care of our recovering daughter while her hubby went to work....Yipeeeeeeeee!
The weather wasn't very encouraging but at least it wasn't raining, so time for a quick five miles before Lunch.

Across the field and through Bluebell woods which spat me out by the side of the main road. A mile and a half along this busy road left my head spinning with the amount of traffic zooming past, so it was so refreshing, and quiet once I turned into the side road that leads to yet more woods and the lane.

The solitude was great, but the sight of an angry sky left me wondering if I was going to get a good soaking, and it was coming my way...

After the sound of the traffic a strange silence came over the land, not a breath of wind with just the smell of the hawthorn blossoms filling my nostrils.....

I've walked and run down this lane for over forty years and never noticed that rise in the distance. I apologise for the photo, but it was quite dark, the rain had started spitting, and I had to zoom in for this shot....

It was such a surprise that I just had to take it's bearings for plotting on the map later.
I never go anywhere without a compass....

I managed to get home before the worst of the storm hit. I will post what that strange rise was later....

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	15521   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	15522   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	15523   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	15524  
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 02:56 PM

Re: Roberts Rambles 3

Most interesting! That rise looks like a long-ago outcrop under an ancient sea. A new place to explore, perhaps ?

In paying attention to your flora, your weeds look a bit different than ours and I am fairly sure that species of hawthorn is different than the hawthorns common in my area. After the Dust Bowl era, and even today to protect topsoil, the government gave farmers free barrier trees to keep the rich upper layers of the soil from blowing away. Are most of the farming hedges similar funded over there?

Wise man to keep a compass,. I confess to depending on the compass and measuring device on my iPhone these days.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Most interesting! That rise looks like a long-ago outcrop under an ancient sea. A new place to explore, perhaps ?

In paying attention to your flora, your weeds look a bit different than ours and I am fairly sure that species of hawthorn is different than the hawthorns common in my area. After the Dust Bowl era, and even today to protect topsoil, the government gave farmers free barrier trees to keep the rich upper layers of the soil from blowing away. Are most of the farming hedges similar funded over there?

Wise man to keep a compass,. I confess to depending on the compass and measuring device on my iPhone these days.
I don't think the hedges are funded Surfermom, more just boundaries than anything. There was a big stink a few years ago when farmers were removing all the hedges and making massive fields. Productivity and all, but it was destroying the natural habitat for the birds and animals that take refuge there, so I think that decision has been reversed. The farmers seem to be a lot more aware of the natural side of the country and are allowing parts of fields to be pasture or left wild. I think there might be subsidies for that... Farmers don't do much unless it's making them brass.

Old habits die hard Surfer, in the days before GPS and smartphone I would never explore the wild places without a map and compass, although in England you can never get lost.....You might not know exactly where you are at times.. But you're never lost....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 04:49 PM

I enjoyed that walk along with you, im glad you were guiding us though because I'd have got myself lost

Nice pictures an narrative foxy
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 05:10 PM

Hi

Lovely post OGF.

I have one of those compasses, not for the wild though, just for finding out exactly which way my new house was oriented.

Five miles is a dream for me, happy with what I did today however.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 06:20 PM

Lovely photos! I have that compass - not that I know how to use it Its Mr P who is the compass and map fan But what lovely countryside you have!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-05-2021, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I enjoyed that walk along with you, im glad you were guiding us though because I'd have got myself lost

Nice pictures an narrative foxy
Thanks Lion Queen, appreciate the nice comment....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-05-2021, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Lovely post OGF.

I have one of those compasses, not for the wild though, just for finding out exactly which way my new house was oriented.

Five miles is a dream for me, happy with what I did today however.
Thanks Swim, perhaps one day we will walk together.... I hope so....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-05-2021, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Lovely photos! I have that compass - not that I know how to use it Its Mr P who is the compass and map fan But what lovely countryside you have!
Thanks Pixie, you don't do all that badly for beautiful countryside yourself, and your mountains are greatly admired by me. If I lived closer I would be halfway through Munro Bagging by now....
I carry my compass because I just don't trust modern technology, it would just be my luck for the battery to run out just when I need it.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

18-05-2021, 09:52 AM

I plotted the course of the strange hills on the map and it turns out to be 'Ackworth Moor Top' some nine miles away as the crow flies, and the place where I once delivered the post... Over fifteen miles by road....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top