Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 03:06 AM

Gardening and Google

Hi

Changing my garden, a lower maintenance version than the one I inherited.

Polytunnel and raised veg beds done and paths gravelled in that area.

That is the bottom end of the garden.

Now on the middle third, an existing patio but new barbeque, combined with a pizza oven, structural plants and bamboos.

This taking some time, but googling has provided loads of hints and tips on how to do it.

Some amazing photos and videos on how to do it and cheaply.

The next bit is the most work, I want a cottage garden on a heavy clay soil.

Some amazing photos and instructions on Google on how to do it, I would be lost without this info.

The bit nearest the house, ugly old concrete, I have made a mess of.

Mismatched artificial grass and gravel with some pots.

I should have googled first.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 09:38 AM

Re: Gardening and Google

Ey? I don't get that?
You just said in Pauline's garden thread that you had solved the ugly concrete with artificial grass and some gravel, yet here you say it's a mess?
I don't understand?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ey? I don't get that?
You just said in Pauline's garden thread that you had solved the ugly concrete with artificial grass and some gravel, yet here you say it's a mess?
I don't understand?
Hi

I have more than one area of unsightly concrete and some of the ideas I have found on google have been brilliant, would never have thought of them myself.

I am not very knowledgeable or design oriented in many fields.

I thought my curtains and sofa were great until you ladies pointed out that they were rubbish.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

16-04-2021, 11:06 AM

Hi

An example of what you can find on Google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cott...w=1280&bih=578
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 12:14 PM

Some beautiful gardens in that link Swimmy.
My garden is mostly grass, can't call it a lawn, with a few bushes dotted around it, Son cuts the grass.
A patio in front of the sun lounge with bushes around that in the flower beds, the pond is on a lower patio area & the path goes passed it & the greenhouse to the lower grass area.
Opposite the pond is grass with a wall all round it.
It's big garden, 42' wide & 142' long.
On the left side halfway down, is a natural Devon bank with a huge Oak tree & other smaller trees/bushes that form a hedge, same at the rear of the garden, but the trees there are Hazel & Ash, flowing against the rear bank/hedge, in the garden, is a stream.
The right side of the garden & the top left half are neighbours fencing.
Since OH died I haven't done a lot with it. I had the raised beds removed from behind the greenhouse & the compost heap & shed that used to be on the left just passed that neighbours fence.
The shed was falling down anyway. There is a big shed at the bottom of the garden that I should clear out, it was where OH made & kept his RC model planes, sold those.
I really should do something about that shed, as it got flooded from the stream & is very damp inside. I went in the door & there are so many cobwebs & spiders I left.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->

I really should do something about that shed, as it got flooded from the stream & is very damp inside. I went in the door & there are so many cobwebs & spiders I left.
This is going to sound very weird indeed, but I do like the smell of old damp wood. I think it must be a childhood thing.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
This is going to sound very weird indeed, but I do like the smell of old damp wood. I think it must be a childhood thing.
Unfortunately the shed, more like a chalet, from the stream flooding, has dropped on the right rear side, due to the wood rotting, so it needs sorting. Firstly we'd have to clear it out inside before anything can be done & We, Son & I keep putting it off.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

18-04-2021, 07:28 AM

Hi

I have done the back concrete for the time being, still sprucing it up.

Now for the front, ugly concrete steps and path.

Not only are they ugly they are very slippery.

More artificial grass and gravel.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

18-05-2021, 06:00 AM

Hi

An update.

The weather has not been good, so a lot of work has had to be delayed.

The middle third is mostly gravelled now with pots and containers, but not happy with the look of it.

The bit nearest the house is next, but the weather has not been kind.

It is very heavy clay, so in order to get the effect I want, it means digging out the clay and filling a large planting hole with compost and perlite to provide better drainage.

A long and laborious process.

Others are doing it for me, but I am taking the clay removed to the recycling, the costs of skips is terrible.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 06:29 AM

Would love to see some pictures of your garden in process,SW, we could get a better idea of it then? 😀

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top