Join for free
Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 05:12 PM

Re: Is There a Breakdown of Respect?

Originally Posted by bret ->
the point is that prisons DO teach 'respect' for others right?
Like hell it is.
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

08-05-2021, 12:15 AM

well the prisoners have a right to be there and sure for hell the officers do to?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 11:32 AM

Hi

Simple fact of life in those parts of the UK where I have lived.

Companies and the rich are fair game.

Grannie and Grandad are not, neither are Mums pushing prams etc.

Times have changed, they are now seen as fair game in some parts of the UK.

That means that faith has been lost in the system, so pick on the vulnerable and you will get a right kicking and nobody will see anything.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Simple fact of life in those parts of the UK where I have lived.

Companies and the rich are fair game.

Grannie and Grandad are not, neither are Mums pushing prams etc.

Times have changed, they are now seen as fair game in some parts of the UK.

That means that faith has been lost in the system, so pick on the vulnerable and you will get a right kicking and nobody will see anything.
I believe that used to be the case. The coppers of old knew right from wrong and it was widely suspected (and probably true) that the really bad ones would accidentally fall down the stairs at the cop shop.

Sadly, the do-gooders hold sway these days and such things wouldn't happen. The criminals are well aware of their 'rights' (and don't give a toss about any rights that their victims may have). Defence lawyers will swear that black is white if they are paid enough to do so.

Unless things are put right, I'm sure we'll see more and more people taking the law into their own hands.
They just have to be very clever and worldly-wise, or get someone who is to do things for them!
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

09-05-2021, 10:19 AM

I do remember being taught respect [sometimes sharply] when I was a kid towards family ; the church ; the police l school etc etc - it was sorta ingrained heh - from dawn to dusk and now perhaps not. Have we swopped all of that for a multiculturalism that isn't working too well?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by bret ->
I do remember being taught respect [sometimes sharply] when I was a kid towards family ; the church ; the police l school etc etc - it was sorta ingrained heh - from dawn to dusk and now perhaps not. Have we swopped all of that for a multiculturalism that isn't working too well?
Well, it is believed that most teachers these days are left-wing and PC. No doubt many support XR and BLM.

I'm glad I'm the age I am and have no children.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 11:02 AM

Having skimmed through this thread, I think Twink was onto something in post 73 regarding the use of punishments to invoke "respect".

There does seem to be a correlation between the loss of respect and the decline in use of physical punishments.

Can't remember who said it but "if you pull someone by the balls, their hearts and minds will soon follow" seems to have a ring of truth about it. Thus the use of fear via physical threat does appear to remove certain "doubts", or rather create sufficient space to engender a particular set of values to be insisted upon without room for negotiation.

Not saying that it's right, nor indeed defending it.

However, those societies/cultures/faiths which adopt violent practices do seem to engender a higher degree of respect within their memberships, albeit through fear.

Maybe those who hold a laudable and more liberal policy towards inculcating respect should reflect that sometimes it's really not possible to have your cake and eat it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-05-2021, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
There does seem to be a correlation between the loss of respect and the decline in use of physical punishments.
I have been saying that for years.

Unfortunately, the whining do-gooders hold sway at present, at least for the time being.

I have a theory.

Due to the lack of any real consequences, crime and bad behaviour will continue to increase. Good people will continue to suffer.
Eventually, though, people will have had enough and the pendulum will swing the other way.
The criminals and misbehaving youths won't know what hit them.

I can't wait!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have been saying that for years.

Unfortunately, the whining do-gooders hold sway at present, at least for the time being.

I have a theory.

Due to the lack of any real consequences, crime and bad behaviour will continue to increase. Good people will continue to suffer.
Eventually, though, people will have had enough and the pendulum will swing the other way.
The criminals and misbehaving youths won't know what hit them.

I can't wait!
I've been banging on for ages about how criminals and miscreants need to pay for the cost of their actions as the first part of their punishment/rehabilitation. How else can they develop the empathy which they clearly didn't have when they committed their offences? I suggest that empathy is an important part of "respect"
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 12:23 PM

The first step is to have clear and unambiguous rules in place.

Today that is seldom the case.

Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top