Join for free
Page 1660 of 1676 « First < 660 1160 1560 1610 1650 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1670 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 06:26 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

No, its not mine, a Scottish Geezer wrote it for me, for which I am eternally grateful, saved me the trouble.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 06:28 AM

So much has been written, to save one the bother.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

17-05-2021, 07:03 AM

Tip of the day, just have one "Old Hand", keep the other for typing the Sophistry.
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

17-05-2021, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
No, its not mine, a Scottish Geezer wrote it for me, for which I am eternally grateful, saved me the trouble.
you can still acknowledge copyright - I can teach you the keys to strike for the sign if you like?
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

17-05-2021, 12:28 PM

well would ya be knowin now Jem just been watching some of a filum called Song of Granite -ring any bells? sean-nos singing Joe Heaney- b/w and there them were all talkin in gaelic =- god job i had me translating button on!

Long chat with the laddie today - who sometimes has a short time with me on the phone and other times long ways - this time it was long ways - then he gets me to analysis the entire family tree - good job me memory is sound! there's no roos loose in my top paddock that's for sure! we got some queer lad here on this very site - running around on homemade bikes - thinks he's evil kenevil or summat. - wots the world comin too I'm askin ya?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

17-05-2021, 09:45 PM

You are only 319 in, in King Jems version, you have yet to experience floods and plagues, scribbled hastily OFF the cuff, some are preparing for the final Burnout!!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Sound man Spitty, you’re in full flight there, could you not recruit that Scottish fella into scribbles?

Yes I suppose some medical stuff might be very sensitive, especially mental health records, no wonder the Trump fella didn’t want his known, that head case set the World back four years.

Some bloke over here was jailed yesterday for swindling two old ladies out of €170,000!
Why are some older women so susceptible to these conmen?. He fed them a load of hard luck stories, surely the penny should drop as soon as they ask for money?

That’s great that you can tell your lad the family history Bret, nothing like hearing from the horses mouth, as long as he doesn’t start calling you Trigger.
My grandkids are forever asking me about my early years in Dublin, my first job, when I met their granny, that kind of thing. Herself spends a lot of time telling them her side of things too.

God never opens one door but he closes another.

Novartis International AG is a Swiss multinational pharmaceutical company based in Basel, Switzerland. It is one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world.

“Mask wearing during the pandemic kept the flu largely at bay this year, dampening Novartis's generic cough medicines business and helping drag the Swiss drugmaker's first-quarter profit below analyst expectations”.

Isn’t that the pits? literally millions have died from this plague and this mega-company is complaining because folks are not buying their cough medicines!.
Me heart bleeds for the greedy gits, how mean can you become?

I knew an Anna Liszt, she was fond of the black stuff.

A bored German chemist called Anna Liszt
Thought that she’d never be missed
She sneaked out of the lab, to the pub in a cab
For the Guinness she couldn’t resist.

Fair play to to ya Anna, yer a woman after me own heart.

Take me back to the black hills, loved the tune when I was a lad.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

17-05-2021, 10:13 PM

Panache, has it been revived?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

17-05-2021, 10:14 PM

Seen a bit of Pan Ash lately.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 11:50 AM

Good morning all and one. I had a day off yesterday to install a new security system.

It comes to summat when you have to protect your chattels. When I were a lad the best security system was having nothing worth nicking like nearly everyone else in the village.

Yes Jem, someone from Wiltshire is known as a Moonraker because of a bunch of locals who allegedly outwitted Excisemen when caught in the act of trying to recover a large cheese from a pond where it had been hid.
The story goes that they pretended they thought the moon had landed in the pond because they could see it's reflection, and were trying to rake it out.
The Excisemen thought they were stupid yokels and left them too it.

Arrrr Jem Lad. That be ow us all do tork by here!

Well no, not really. Not unless it is, Talk like a Pirate day.

Why the fella decided on an exaggerated West Country accent is anybody's business. Perhaps it was because Bristol was a seafaring city and many a journey around the world started there, including the Europeans landing in North America in the 1490s.
Perhaps it was because Bristol was the home of Edward Teach. His house still stands and I've walked past it a few times. You might know him better by his professional name, Mr Blackbeard the pirate.

I was only four and a bit when my family left Wiltshire to live in the frozen Northern wastelands of Lincolnshire, then Yorkshire, before moving back to Bristol and then finally adopting the land of the Summer Settlers as my home.

That's how Somerset got its name. Farmers would move cattle onto the flatlands to graze as it started to dry out. They would settle there for the Summer before moving back to higher ground as it began to flood again in the rainy season.

There were inland seas and islands until a massive programme drained much of it with technology invented in the Netherlands and used in other low lying parts of the UK.
It still floods occasionally and did so with disastrous results a few years ago.
Thanks to the farmers of oop norf, livestock was transported North and cattle feed was shipped South. A few years later, terrible floods hit the north of England and the West Country farmers repaid the kindness and generosity shown to them previously.

My accent is probably RP (Received Pronunciation), a combined collection of accents. A sort of average if you like.
I've lived here nearly forty years and still classed as an incomer. Luckily my Lovely Cousin is a local lass, so at least I am tolerated.

Like you Jem we weren't taught much about the geography and history of other nations, other than what splendid chaps the British were for invading uncivilised parts of the world, taking their land, and imposing our culture upon them.

Learning the names and dates of English royalty didn't seem much point to me. We got as far as the French Revolution and the traitorous rebellion in the American colonies in year 3, but I wanted to learn about the Victorian age of steam, the industrial revolution, and the two world wars, so I dropped history in favour of metalwork and the sciences.

Page 1660 of 1676 « First < 660 1160 1560 1610 1650 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1670 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top