Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 10:49 PM

Re: Do You Stock Up Or Buy Only What You Need?

Living alone, I shop once a week. I always make sure that I have sufficient in the freezer, a small one, to provide me with meals to last at least a couple of weeks. This has proved useful during the recent bad weather. I also make sure that I have a spare jar of coffee and tea bags. I make all of my food from scratch, so keep a stock of herbs and spices, pasta etc. I have homemade soups, stews and lasagne which I make and freeze.

Apart from that I dont stockpile food and the only tinned goods I tend to have are tomatoes, tuna, a spare bottle of sauce mix.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 11:23 PM

I always have too much of this...

... usually chai concentrate and soy milk -which if I did not have in the morning would stop the earth from rotating on its axis....

...and strangely, never enough of that.

There are always a few things like dishwasher detergent and ketchup that I cannot remember to save my neck.

On more than one occasion I have had to return to the market despite having been earlier, on a late night run (and disparaging myself most fiercely using a rich and varied vocabulary en route) for simply having run out of some critical item.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Spam, you can’t have enough spam..you will all thank me come the Zombie Apocalypse
Oiy you! Don't start.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
I admit to being squirrel like in my food buying habits. I need to always make sure I have more than enough and sometimes have to put stuff away other than the kitchen as there is no more room.

Likely something to do with a poor childhood or just being a touch on the greedy side. Not sure which?

What about you?
I tend to shop everyday but I am also a hoarder so if I see something on special I might buy it. God knows how many tins of baked beans, tuna and fruit salad I have in the cupboard or how many loaves in the freezer.

There is a downside - on at least a couple of occasions fruit salad tins have rusted through from the inside and mucked up the back of my cupboard (it seems a problem confined to fruit salad!)

I had to clear out my chest freezer recently and discovered meat with an expiry date over half a decade ago not to mention some venison shot by my son in law a decade ago. Embarrassing or what?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2018, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I tend to shop everyday but I am also a hoarder so if I see something on special I might buy it. God knows how many tins of baked beans, tuna and fruit salad I have in the cupboard or how many loaves in the freezer.

There is a downside - on at least a couple of occasions fruit salad tins have rusted through from the inside and mucked up the back of my cupboard (it seems a problem confined to fruit salad!)

I had to clear out my chest freezer recently and discovered meat with an expiry date over half a decade ago not to mention some venison shot by my son in law a decade ago. Embarrassing or what?
OMG Sort it out before you get food poisoning.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2018, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
OMG Sort it out before you get food poisoning.
I buried it all.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

10-03-2018, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I buried it all.
What!
You can't do that.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2018, 12:16 AM

What!
You can't do that.
He did
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

10-03-2018, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
He did
Will it seep into the ground?
That is my worry.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

10-03-2018, 12:24 AM

What!
You can't do that.
Why not?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top