Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 04:01 PM

Re: Friend Requests

Jem, what a nice post, I'll bet you have some wonderful friends in the real world too.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Behind the words on the screen are real people Tara

I think it's lovely that Jem made connections with people on here and still thinks about them now they are no longer with us
Yes they are real people, but unless you have met them in person and actually got to know them, you can't be sure what they are really like.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I am not hard hearted, but I don't get upset about trivia as some people seem to do. Besides which, forums are virtual reality, not real life.
Yes there is a lot of trivia but I presume everyone on here is a real person and not some sort of automated bot
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
Yes there is a lot of trivia but I presume everyone on here is a real person and not some sort of automated bot
But what worries me is that some people are too trusting of people they have only met on-line, which can be a BIG mistake as I know to my cost. I have been posting on forums since the late 90s and at first took people at face value. As I have mentioned before, several times, a woman from Florida told a very distressing tale of woe, and I wanted to help her. I sent her the equivalent of £1000 in American dollars. When she realised that I wasn't sending her anymore money she fell out with me on-line, over something so trivial it was pathetic. I later discovered that I wasn't the only poor mug who had been taken in. She was clever, if she had actually asked me for money I would have been suspicious, and not have sent her any. Some years later I had an e-mail from her purporting to come from London saying she had lost her purse and could I lend her £2000, YEH RIGHT like I did. I ignored her e-mail and blocked her. I have also attracted a couple of stalkers, one threatened to visit our vicar daughter pretending to be in need of spiritual advice! I have met up with several people I first met on-line, and with one exception they were nothing like they pretend to be on-line. They were ghastly, I left the forums on which I had met them. I was interviewed by the late John Peel for his Saturday morning programme. I related my experiences and warned people about being very careful about making on-line friendships.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 05:18 PM

Tara, I am disheartened to hear what happened to you. Can't blame you one bit for being cautious after those experiences.

But sometimes online friendships do turn into real friendships, sometimes they don't. A chance we take.

I know a lady just married her online sweetie and she was in Ontario, Canada and he was in Texas USA
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

13-03-2018, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
Tara, I am disheartened to hear what happened to you. Can't blame you one bit for being cautious after those experiences.

But sometimes online friendships do turn into real friendships, sometimes they don't. A chance we take.

I know a lady just married her online sweetie and she was in Ontario, Canada and he was in Texas USA
I am sure some do, but it is best to be very careful, especially those who go on dating sites and have landed themselves in the deep proverbial.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I never had you down as a "sniffer" RJ.
I suffer from a conjugative inflection Spitty

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top