Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 09:33 AM

Re: " Let Them Eat Cake"

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think many over 65's are better nourished than the young, we were brought up to cook not open a packet or order a takeaway.

For me the 'malnourished' are the wobbling masses of blubber I see with trolly loads of rubbish in the supermarkets.
Meg, What l don’t understand is how they get to that size without being aware of what’s happening?
Don’t they notice how huge their limbs are getting? Don’t their friends or relatives tell them?
There are so many ginormous people now that they look like a new species!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Meg, What l don’t understand is how they get to that size without being aware of what’s happening?
Don’t they notice how huge their limbs are getting? Don’t their friends or relatives tell them?
They must know they are putting on weight Art, surely their clothes won't fit ...
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 10:43 AM

Considering how many overweight people there are in the UK, most folk don't look malnourished to me. I am glad the UK gives money to foreign aid, there are many people in this world much worse off than those in the UK.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Considering how many overweight people there are in the UK, most folk don't look malnourished to me. I am glad the UK gives money to foreign aid, there are many people in this world much worse off than those in the UK.
Oh! I thought the money went to the leaders, to spend on themselves or buy weapons!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Back on topic, this offers a few insights into malnutrition in the UK.

http://www.malnutritiontaskforce.org...ion-factsheet/

Although the dietary advice is against what is considered the norm, it has been changing in recent years, butter, full fat yoghurt, eggs and such like are no longer considered bad for you.

There must be many reasons for folks becoming so malnourished, income, health, bereavement being just 3, good that there are some folks trying to help, foodbanks, community kitchens, and elderly groups dinner days, where the community provides a chance for a cheap nutritious meal and a natter.

But getting oldies to come is hard, independent old buggers, who have provided for themselves find it hard too ask or a hand.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

07-10-2018, 10:57 AM

Some elderly and poor people spend more money on lottery tickets than they do on food.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 11:07 AM

Constant dieting must lead to malnourishment.

But putting on weight must be genetic. I know that it would be impossible for me to become morbidly obese because of my metabolism and body type. But some body types are prone and if you put that together with the need to comfort eat as well as a metabolic disorder and a lack of exercise you end up ballooning. I guess the fatter you get the more self conscious you become and some end up housebound as a result.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 06:07 PM

If you are overweight or underweight at any age, you should see your own Doctor who is familiar with your health.
Too many people read books and articles written by the medically untrained or follow diets of Celebrities

Farmers who grow and eat more Dairy food and cakes too than most people, are seldom are overweight.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 06:10 PM

Oh! I thought the money went to the leaders, to spend on themselves or buy weapons!

You are right Artangel, sadly this Aid is not controlled properly and too much goes to people who do not need it or deserve it.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 06:29 PM

Another reason we become malnourished is that our bodies simply don't metabolize as well as we did when we were younger.

It's a side note, but this topic is among the reasons why the young need really need to be better taught to prepare for the eventuality of old age and fixed incomes in a world in which emergencies and inflation are givens.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top