Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:02 AM

road charge

Rishi Sunak considering a plan to charge motorists for every mile they drive on British roads, I thought we were already charge a road tax??
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:14 AM

Re: road charge

Likely the sales of electric cars is not as much as they expected.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/uk-e...car-sales-2019
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:51 AM

Must admit Paula, it annoyed us this morning when they announced this. What is the point of paying for road tax if we are then in danger of having to pay even more.
HWMO says they should do away with the road tax as we have hardly benefited from it with the state of our roads. He believes that the further a vehicle is driven the more the drivers should pay. That way it is fairer on those who don't use the roads as much as others.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 11:05 AM

He I going to miss tge billions in fuel tax.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 11:08 AM

can you Imagine how much this would cost people who are using their car for work maybe driving 20 or 30 miles every working day, It seems labour tried this in 2007 and the charge was to be between 2p and £1 50 depending on the time of day, They had to scrap the idea, I bet there wouldn't be many people charged 2p.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 11:14 AM

How much tax can the government put on a vehicle?
We've got Road tax, tax on fuel, insurance tax, VAT on parts and labour......And I wouldn't pay them in washers to drive on the roads full of potholes and roadworks.... It seems like they are trying to price the drivers off the roads. They could start by using more trains to haul goods, or make the stuff here, instead of using a convoy of lorries that stretch from Dover to Edinburgh from Monday to Friday.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
He I going to miss tge billions in fuel tax.
I dont think so Vlad, the new tax will probably be applied through
an expanded fuel tax?
So all car drivers pay every time they travel !!
Fuel prices will soar but we will continue driving! 😟😟

Donkeyman! 😢😢
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
We've got Road tax, tax on fuel, insurance tax, VAT on parts and labour......And I wouldn't pay them in washers to drive on the roads full of potholes and roadworks.... It seems like they are trying to price the drivers off the roads. They could start by using more trains to haul goods, or make the stuff here, instead of using a convoy of lorries that stretch from Dover to Edinburgh from Monday to Friday.

Spot on, technology will allow government to restrict our driving to essential use only. They eventually will have complete control over everything we do, how and when.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Good post OGF!
Maybe the trucks situation will change IF we get a proper brexit??

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 11:30 AM

Ok lets go along with this idea for a moment. How are they going to know how many miles a car does?

1=Are the putting spy road cameras every mile on every road
2= putting meters in every car
3= us submitting car milage every year possibility using MOT as proof
4= Cars under 3 years old need no MOT so how is that going to work?

AH I have the solution on how they are going to do it.

We all are going to have to have a government official in our car every time we use it to see how many miles we do. Brilliant government thinking.

Say even only 50 million cars on the road, that will sort out the unemployment situation at a stroke

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top