Join for free
Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 11 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 09:49 PM

Foxy's Latest Project.

After reaching saturation point concerning Brexit and Covid, I thought I would escape for a while and concentrate my energies on a project in the workshop.
Most members might find it as interesting as removing wax from their ear with a hairgrip, but for the odd one or two I thought it might prove interesting and different, so I'll post my progress.......or lack of......

How to Build a working Metal Detector....Hopefully!....
Before I jump into the technical stuff I must point out that building a metal detector is not a new thing for me, I managed to build a reasonably decent BFO (Beat Frequency Oscillator) detector back in the eighties.

Again, just last year, I found a decent drawing on the net that appeared to be more sensitive that my previous version, so on and off over the last twelve months I've been assembling it, unfortunately after extensive testing, studying the drawing until I went blue in the face, and fault tracing I've been unable to find what the problem was.....

This was the circuit.....

A metal detector needs a search coil.....The bit that skims the surface of the ground and picks up any fluctuations in either RF waves or Magnetic waves when metal is located. In most cases it is the hardest bit to construct, so before I start this kind of project, I see if I can produce a good search coil, the circuit is usually the easiest bit for me....supposedly. This was the search coil for my first attempt...I was quite proud of it...

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 09:52 PM

Re: Foxy's Latest Project.

Looks pretty - but complicated, Foxy!
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 09:57 PM

I couldn't help noticing all the unused holes in your circuit board, Foxy. It seems such a waste. Can't you think of anything to stick in some of them?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
They (circuit boards) might look complicated Tabby, but when you break them down into the various stages they are fairly simple to understand. Sort of 'Bite size bits'....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I couldn't help noticing all the unused holes in your circuit board, Foxy. It seems such a waste. Can't you think of anything to stick in some of them?
It's Veroboard.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Never mind Foxy's electronics, S.T., how's the ghost story coming on?
Harbal
South Yorkshire

17-11-2020, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
It's Veroboard.
That doesn't make it alright, Besoeker, it's still a waste.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 10:08 PM

Foxy, I may well have a number of components that you could have. Electronics, resistors, transistors............
If they are of interest - on cost.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

17-11-2020, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
That doesn't make it alright, Besoeker, it's still a waste.
It isn't.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

17-11-2020, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
It isn't.
Oh yes it is.

Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top