Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 07:03 PM

Re: my general thoughts about photography

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I know almost nothing about new technology when it comes to photography, so that was an interesting read, realspeed. While it's unlikely I will take up the craft, I do admire it and your passion for it.

As for smart phone photography, Barry, you forgot one step. Make sure you wipe of the lens first. Condensation or whatever else can result in everything looking like it has a cheesecloth effect :
roll:.
Ah, so that's what's causing it...
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 07:04 PM

Oh I dunno...you could pass it off as Bokeh effect
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 08:06 PM

Mobile phone ... little sensor, little glass, will never make the grade.

But wait, "computational" photography is the future, to the dismay of camera enthusiasts.

A phone's macroscopics should not be underestimated when powered by pinhead mega chips, terabytes of nanotechnology.

The result is good enough for most.

We've reached a stage where crappy little cameras produce fab images for our computer screen, and old world cameras are really only required for when printing big.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2021, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Ah, so that's what's causing it...
Haha, my suggestion comes from years of experience producing disasters in the salt air.

I have a hunch my photos would look like mud next to yours!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2021, 07:22 AM

and smartphones now have 2, 3, 4 or more rear cameras. Multiple pictures are taken, merged together in-phone, giving you artificial but pro looking results.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2021, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Mobile phone ... little sensor, little glass, will never make the grade.
I am not entirely convinced by that, the sensor is a fair point but miniaturisation will surely continue until the wave length of light becomes a limiting factor. (As wavelength is becoming a limitation in electronics)

But the lens less so because phone cameras must surely be getting close to the most perfect of all cameras - the pinhole camera.
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 08:08 AM

When I go out with the camera, the overriding feeling I have is one of excitement. You just don't know what you are going to meet.

Once you have met the scene/subject/image you want to photograph, then decisions have to be made as to how you want that image presented and this is where the creativity comes into play - there are so many variations.

Using an i-phone or a point and shoot has to be the most boring method of photography ever.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by PooBear ->

Using an i-phone or a point and shoot has to be the most boring method of photography ever.
Oh I dunno....I found them handy when I took a shot of the upturned car in my street last year.....or the riot police who thought there was a bomb nearby and surrounded the place with armed police. No time for setting up my digital SLR, assorted lenses and tripod then, I can tell ya!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by PooBear ->
When I go out with the camera, the overriding feeling I have is one of excitement. You just don't know what you are going to meet.

Once you have met the scene/subject/image you want to photograph, then decisions have to be made as to how you want that image presented and this is where the creativity comes into play - there are so many variations.

Using an i-phone or a point and shoot has to be the most boring method of photography ever
I guess that's the difference between going out to take a photograph, and taking a snapshot of something that you just happen to notice on the way. That is where, I think, the camera phone comes into it's own. Personally, not being a "photographer", I hate being lumbered with a camera wherever I go even if on holiday or whatever, but as I generally have my phone then that solves my problem, and I would say 90% of the time my snapshot of a person or scene is as good as any other camera, at least to my eye
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 06:21 PM

I don't think it really matters what you took a photo with, if your happy with the result that is all that matters. No one can ever take the perfect picture as people have different ideas. However you do get those that seek perfection so good luck to them but it is not me.

I said previously taking videos stirs my interest more.Ok I have been taking them for 10+ years now and being able to see a video one takes is a different concept.

seeing things like this would be hard to remember 10/11 years on when I shot this

Hopefully the new camcorder will cut out a lot of this type of camera shake

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top