Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2021, 12:09 AM

making of this video below

I had to think this one through as it is ages since I did it before

So to start with I had 5 or 6 video clips and all but three I eliminated after viewing. ended up with two clips of crow and one of a magpie. Eventually did away with other crow footage as the match was not good enough, but had to try

next was to download them onto the editing suite I use, putting them all on the same audio and video tracks . It does this got no choice

Next was to remove the sound track as I wanted to add something different later on. Also fading in/out sound in time with video

ok now have three videos on the same track the two of the
different crows together and fade out/in the magpie as a link. Trying to get the crow footage to match kinda worked but not perfectly however.

After that was finding sound for the audio, nothing really suitable, need more time to source something better me thinks, but anyway.

This next stage had and has me thinking about adding script. It kept saying title script when I wanted to add to the video instead. Not as a starter heading

Found the answer by putting the wording on yet a third track and that worked as it auto'ed onto the visual one. Still got to discover how to do a scrolling script and adding a voice over. Not only putting on the script but in a choice of styles, also the position and timing on the video itself. wanted a longer scrolling script

So as you can see by reading the above what looks simple actually involves quite a bit of work and I still havn't got exactly what I wanted
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 10:26 PM

Re: making of this video below

This is how I started- equipment used- errors I made - extras added-editing issues etc. Show on the internet. Summing up
As most have seen I started out with a camera but recently got more interested in video work although I have been doing videos for a good few years.

equipment

So the first thing was, same as deciding on a camera, going through all the makes and options available. The price and what each had to offer. The Panasonic HC X900m was the first "serious" camcorder I chose as it not only recordered to SD card but also to internal memory a great idea. That went to so many countries with me I lost count. Apart from a switch needed replacing it worked great for many years. eventually it started to give a few more problems such as cooling fan stopping and a sticking lens curtain blade . So time for a replacement

So back to research for another. I wanted to stay with Panasonic but came across the Sony FDR-AX53 with an absolutely amazing steadying lens system and within budget
So a change of make and P/X the old one. One could go more expensive but setting the menu for a shoot takes time.

Errors I made

To start with not being able to do a steady walking video and panning around too fast I suppose were the main ones
also taking videos at anything but what I wanted to video. Keeping track of a moving subject in frame sounds easy but easily lost if zooming in. No doubt to an expert I have made many more like keeping the video level and not as if it was a taken on a slope.

Extras added

I quickly found out and the best advice is to have spare batteries to hand -a tripod with a fluid head and an SD card of say 128 GB as a camcorder doesn't have a recording time limit like most cameras have. To this I added a UV filter to stop dirt getting to the lens- a wireless remote trigger , which was hard to find one with a decent range- and a stereo microphone the didnt need wires as its connection is already on the hotshoe. Lastly pistol grip with basic camera controls and a decent wind muffler "Deadcat".

Editing
a complete world of its own I am still working my way through. The biggest problem is wind noise across the microphone, a real pain in the backside. The ​editing suite I use is very basic compared to others it is the Adobe Premier Elements 2020 version.
So once the video is downloaded ready for editing on mine it comes up on two "channels" one for sound and the other for visual.
The easiest solution is to delete sound completely and replace with music or voice over. Bet my voice sounds horrible but must give it a try sometime. with sound one can alter it to add base trebble etc.
​With the visual side there are so many options like cutting out a bad bit- stitching together- doing slow motion -fade inout- colour change even going into mono as I have done on a couple of mine.

Showing on the internet

Why go to all this bother and not share likes and dislikes with others. No way would I deliberaltly video childen unless a crowd scene when it can't be avoided. Some do videos on youtube in the hope of making money but that is not me, but adding a subscibe button is some indication of how many want to see more. It is also an easy way for friends/family living a long way away to see where you have been.

Summing up
making a video with all that in incures I find a bigger challenge that just taking a photo. Being able to view where and what is around and moving subjects I think creates more interest.

Do I get annoyed sometimes? yes people walking or deciding to stand right infront of you happens more often than you think. There is something about making a video that draws them towards you

Don't expect anyone will find this at all interesting but at least it has caused the reader to waste a bit of time and maybe ask a few questions. Anyway that is what I find is the
very basics of my doing videos
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 10:34 PM

RS, have you heard of a free audio program called audacity? The learning curve depends on how much you want to faff around with different sound effects, but to eliminate sound like wind, it is pretty straight forward. And there are also tutorials on Youtube.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

Don't expect anyone will find this at all interesting but at least it has caused the reader to waste a bit of time and maybe ask a few questions
Not if the reader skipped straight to the above paragraph.

Which he did, btw.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->

Which he did, btw.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

31-05-2021, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
RS, have you heard of a free audio program called audacity? The learning curve depends on how much you want to faff around with different sound effects, but to eliminate sound like wind, it is pretty straight forward. And there are also tutorials on Youtube.

PK

I don't think any editing suite can eliminate wind noise completely, If you cut out the deep rumble of wind that may well affect so other audible sounds, but you might be right of course.
I find the best way is to either have a decent wind "deadcat" on a microphone or to use a lavalier microphone pinned to clothing depending on what you want to record. Bearing in mind the different types such as directional -stereo etc
Just had a look at that program it doesn't cover continuous wind noise only background noise which I was talking about
i can do the same shuffle in the program I have cutting out the noise bit and replacing with quiet
Thank you for pointing me to that program anyway I might even use it in the future
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

31-05-2021, 10:55 PM

deleted
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 10:57 PM

Oh ok, RS, that's absolutely fine if its not quite what you need. Especially if you can do the same without it. I saw the "deadcat" in your other posts, and if that works, stick with it. All the professional TV folk use them don't they?
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Don't be a smart A**hole all your life give yourself a break
I have no time for breaks when there's so much work to be done, RS.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

31-05-2021, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->

Which he did, btw.
I won't comment to this remark as it will cause more offence.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top