Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

08-05-2021, 02:33 AM

Escape to the country

Is this show still running over there or are we just getting all the re-runs?

Apart from the mind numbing chatter that goes on I do enjoy the history/geography updates and it poses some questions for me too.

you do need quite a bit of money to make this transition? and

it appears that there is a socialogical shift of older people [often retired] moving out of urban settings into rural - which i then assume leaves all the urban areas more heavily populated with a younger cohort and the opposite for the remoter rural areas?

There are of course many other issues personal and social that bubble to the surface but I was just wondering how the natives of UK, at least represented on here see it all?

ta Bret
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 02:57 AM

Re: Escape to the country

We watch it ,my BH enjoys looking at the British countryside."It's so green."
What I find disappointing is the amount of small farms that seem no longer to exist judging by the amount of refurbished farm houses and buildings that are on offer.And the interiors all look the same,I think everyone has read the same house decorating magazine.
(I'm an ex native.)
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 07:19 AM

I enjoy watching folks who have a perception that is slowly eroded by reality.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 07:23 AM

They mostly bother about the size of the forth bedroom than the rustic ambience.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 07:50 AM

I see their responses to the amount of rooms the house has to offer, the large kitchen with the middle island, and the acreage...and they invariably say ‘it’s not big enough.’ And so I shout at the telly ‘it’ll do for me! What I’d give to have that amount of house...’
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

08-05-2021, 08:00 AM

It was easier in the old days, when there was only one "Lord of the Manor".
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 08:09 AM

Mrs d00d likes it, she's Portuguese been here since the 80s, loves the images of the cute countryside and properties. If she can't see it all in the flesh ETTC is second best.

@ Psmith ... those old barns and cowsheds are redundant, 50+ years out of date. These farms now have aircraft hangers for the job situated near major roads for easy access for big wagons.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 08:29 AM

Tony watches it.
I think they're all repeats though!
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 08:36 AM

I’m about to escape from a small farm to the sea .
I use to enjoy the program but like any good tv idea it gets flogged to death and becomes boring .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 08:41 AM

They look nice but mostly only shown in the nice weather and all very well if fit and healthy. A different story in the winter and as we age maybe.

Nearby facilities such as a choice of local pubs, shops, a garage, bus routes, doctors, hospitals can be preferable to an idyllic and isolated place in the country.

Ought to have a programme called 'A place on the edge of the suburbs'.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top