Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 09:36 AM

Are there any diabetics that use insulin here?

I will try to keep this short!
Last year I started to have hypos every afternoon! I carefully count my carbs & have a foolproof system for making sure I have the right insulin dose with my meal.
I get no warning of hypos, apart from feeling tired, so when I am alone I could easily fall asleep and go into a coma...so I contacted my Doctor.

They couldn't solve the problem, so referred me to a consultant ( Phone appointment) and he changed my insulin & gave me a number for diabetic nurses to phone if I had problems.
The insulin is called Fiasp & as I check my blood sugars at least 4 times a day I have now discovered that each vial works for a couple of days but then stops working. In the last month I have had to dispose of the insulin vials & so far I have thrown 7 away in the last 4 weeks!

I have contacted the diabetic nurses 3 times, for help...but they don't phone me back. I have contacted 111 where a GP told me to just have my night time jab & not worry about my high BS levels... but that would have made me need a pee many times through the night... so very little sleep! He said well you know you better than me, so just do what you think!

Yesterday it happened again & as the diabetic nurses didn't call me back I phoned my GP surgery, who arranged for a doctor to phone me at 6.30 last night. He did and said I should speak to the practice's diabetic nurse on Monday & she will deal with it.

My BS levels reached 31.6 last night so, once again I dealt with it myself & arranged for a family member to phone me through the night to make sure I was Ok.
It seems that the insulin, that is causing the problem is not only the one that keeps going off ( probably because it isn't properly insulated in the pen) , but also the night time one that that I was assured could never put me into a hypo... but it does.

The only way I can get help is to phone 999 who will take me into hospital , but not take me home if they revive me!

The nurses are expected to do the doctors job, but many have little experience & they only work 9 till 5 Monday to Friday!

I am just posting this to see of anyone else has used Fiasp or has had any problems with their care, because I believe that Diabetics , who generally look after themselves with their insulin, cannot get the help they need when things go wrong.

Is the NHS prescribing cheaper insulin that doesn't keep so well? I don't know but I am going to insist they return me to the insulin I used a year ago & more blood test strips so I can look after myself!

A lady on the 111 calls said "You are very knowledgeable on dealing with you diabetes". I replied " Yes I am, I had to be or I wouldn't still be here today. My only problem is that I cannot prescribe my own insulin Or get help when the one I have been given doesn't work!"
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 09:51 AM

Re: Are there any diabetics that use insulin here?

Twink I am so sorry you are still experiencing problems with the change of medication.
I don't think you are alone ....
https://www.diabettech.com/faster-in...sp-csii-study/
the comments below the article are interesting ..
There are also some interesting comments on Diabetes UK support group .
https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards...h-fiasp.83982/

I hope you can gets some help and answers, the lack of trust in your medication must be very worrying ...
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 09:56 AM

Gosh that sounds terrible Twink isn't there a Diabetes support forum for people with the same condition where you can get some support? Its not good you were told to just do as you think best...that can't be right can it?
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 10:21 AM

Oh Diane, I feel really sorry for you, as you know I am also Type 1, I am on Humalog Mix50 and don't have any problems.

I suggest you go to A&E next time.

Love to you.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Oh Diane, I feel really sorry for you, as you know I am also Type 1, I am on Humalog Mix50 and don't have any problems.

I suggest you go to A&E next time.

Love to you.
Susie I was on Humalog for years and it was great till I suddenly started having hypos , mid afternoon, but I have never heard of Humalog Mix50.
Do you have a jab before bedtime of a different insulin?

I do, I have Lantus before I go to bed? I need to know what others find acceptable because I am certainly not staying on this Fiasp!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Susie I was on Humalog for years and it was great till I suddenly started having hypos , mid afternoon, but I have never heard of Humalog Mix50.
Do you have a jab before bedtime of a different insulin?

I do, I have Lantus before I go to bed? I need to know what others find acceptable because I am certainly not staying on this Fiasp!
Sorry to read of your problems with diabetes Twink. I know nothing about diabetes, other than managing to avoid Type 2 some while back. The links below show details of the Humalog Mix50 mentioned, hope this is of some use and that you soon get things sorted out, it must be very worrying for you:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/7473/pil

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/7474/pil
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

08-05-2021, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Twink I am so sorry you are still experiencing problems with the change of medication.
I don't think you are alone ....
https://www.diabettech.com/faster-in...sp-csii-study/
the comments below the article are interesting ..
There are also some interesting comments on Diabetes UK support group .
https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards...h-fiasp.83982/

I hope you can gets some help and answers, the lack of trust in your medication must be very worrying ...
Thanks for those links Meg!
I have no trust at all in the Fiasp & will insist on them changing it, but I need to find an alternative that I can trust.
I have spent over a year worrying about how I will react to changing my insulin but, as my sister was staying here since Christmas, I had somebody to check on me if I was concerned. She went home on Thursday but we speak on the phone every morning. That won't help me if I have died overnight, but at least I know that my cats will get care.
When doctors realize that not all diabetics are the same, perhaps they will understand the pressure the patients are under and start to listen to what they are saying.... because it is often the medication that causes death or problems.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

08-05-2021, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Gosh that sounds terrible Twink isn't there a Diabetes support forum for people with the same condition where you can get some support? Its not good you were told to just do as you think best...that can't be right can it?
It isn't right Summer , but he was just an ordinary emergency GP who knew nothing about me. He was told by a nurse that I was very well informed about diabetes, so when I questioned his suggestion to do nothing, he said " Well you know you more than I do, so just do what you think!"
I did and got a good blood sugar reading the next morning!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

08-05-2021, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Sorry to read of your problems with diabetes Twink. I know nothing about diabetes, other than managing to avoid Type 2 some while back. The links below show details of the Humalog Mix50 mentioned, hope this is of some use and that you soon get things sorted out, it must be very worrying for you:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/7473/pil

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/7474/pil
Thanks Baz they were very useful so I will discuss it with my GP diabetic nurse in Monday !
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 11:52 AM

Hi

I am not diabetic Twink.

I do however share your frustrations with the problems you are having.

It really is pass the parcel with the NHS at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top