Join for free
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 04:51 PM

Take a letter.

A letter rack made from an odd length pine, a piece of floor beading, and some recycled laminate flooring. It's a bit late in being implemented, but everything that comes through the door gets quarantined for at least three days before it is touched by hand.

Three pieces of laminate cut to size for the back, screwed to two bits of wood for the sides, with beading, dividers, and supports for the front panels. The three front panels are cut to size and face down on the workbench to be fitted once it's in situe.

Stained and varnished to match its surroundings to be.

In position.

In use, marked with the six postal days of the week, with other deliveries underneath.

Disclaimer. This is my Lovely Cousin's lovely writing, not my untidy scrawl.

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 05:27 PM

Re: Take a letter.

That's very clever, Fruitcake and nicely constructed given that you recycled everything. I like the way it suits the location so well.

Did you work from any sort of plan or did you decide the angles for the slots and general construction yourself?

How do you plan to use it down the road or do you plan to delay opening the mail in similar fashion once the pandemic is over?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 06:41 PM

It was just a case of measuring the place where I was instructed to install it, then make it to fit.
It couldn't be any deeper than when the door was open at right angles, no higher than the existing dado rail, and no wider than the distance from the door frame to the corner trim.

That defined the angles for me, and the size of the six pockets.

The pandemic is going to be with us for a while, but it's only held in place by being a tight fit, gravity, and the dado rail which is in turn held in place by two screws.

We will probably just leave it in place and perhaps find another use for it, but it will take all of two minutes to take it out again.

I can always find a use for leftover materials.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 06:52 PM

That's very clever Fruitcake, well done!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 09:01 PM

Oh I like that idea and it just all blends in perfectly! Well done - Very organised too, good job!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 09:11 PM

Far too organised for me. My letters get read then chucked in a filing cabinet, still in their envelope. I try to get them in the correct file.

Good job though Fruitcake.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top