Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 01:03 PM

What Age Do You Class As ‘Old’?

My daughter who lives in Brighton, in a road of tall Georgian houses converted into flats rang me yesterday.
She said as she and her boyfriend were eating their dinner, there was a loud banging noise and the sound of glass breaking.
She thought it might be coming from the flats below but when they looked out of the window, there was an old lady in a flat opposite, with a baseball bat smashing her windows and the glass was falling down onto the balcony of another flat below.

Worried that the lady would harm herself, my daughter rang the police. She was asked if she was sure that it was a baseball bat and my daughter said, yes, it was.
Next thing, a police riot van and police cars arrived with police in full riot gear including helmets and shields. Some were even changing into their gear in the street.

At the end of her story, l asked how ‘old’, was the old lady?
Her reply, ‘Fifties or Sixties’!
Aye!!!! I said, if that’s ‘old’, then l am really ancient!!

So l ask, what do you consider to be ‘old’ ?
I would say, over 100. Even then some at that age can seem younger than those that are younger than them!!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 01:05 PM

Re: What Age Do You Class As ‘Old’?

90+ I should say looking from my perspective, but I'm considered to be old by those younger than me.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 01:08 PM

It's a strange one ...

When I turned 50, I felt it sounded so much older than 49. I didn't mind so much going from 59 to 60 but felt vulnerable last month when I turned 70. It just sounds so much older than 69.

The thing is, mentally I don't feel old and am taking comfort that a friend recently said that 70 is the new 60!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 01:08 PM

I think "old" is as the person's perspective of it, really. A 10 year old, might see someone at 18 being "old", and a person in their 50's might see 80 as being old. Being "older" comes as quite a shock to me sometimes, in certain situations, but old is not something I imagine happening until at least 90's or 100.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 01:23 PM

Old is as old does .....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 01:31 PM

I'm sure children think their parents & teachers are 'old'. I know I did.
Now, to me, teachers are young & getting younger & the same with policemen, Doctors & firemen. But I am 'old'.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 02:10 PM

It annoys me when reading novels where an author describes a character as a sprightly 60 something. Or even someone in their late 50s. I am getting on for 70. I have friends over 70 who show good health and no sign of slowing down.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 02:31 PM

Hi

The Government does not use the word old.

Elderly is the definition and for most purposes it starts at 60.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 02:36 PM

When I first started work at 16, I thought my work colleague was old ..... he was 24.

These days, anyone can be old if they look it but not if I am speaking to them directly.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2021, 02:56 PM

I think 'old' is always at least 10 years older than I am at any given time. When I was 50, 60+ was old; at 60, 70+ was old.

I, of course, shall never be old by this logic

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top