Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 01:48 AM

self censorship

Do you self censor?..Like, do you refrain from saying things here that you really would like to?...Do you resist challenging the views and opinions of others for the sake of peace and harmony?..for the sake of civility?...Or do you take the attitude that you have every right to state your opinion regardless of what anyone else thinks - like, if they don't like it then they can just suck it up thankyou very much. No right or wrong answer. I just wonder how much people self censor. For myself?..I find I usually try to say what I think. But invariably I try to assert my opinion civilly. I don't have a particularly long fuse. I admit that freely and have before. That's my fault. I have to watch it because it's a fault that is easily exploited. So I self censor at times.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 02:52 AM

Re: self censorship

I often self censor, not for harmony, not because I am wary of dissent, but because I am comfortable enough not to try and change anyone else's opinion or feelings about the topic at hand. Most of us come at any issue with a unique outlook based on our own experiences.

What is right for me may not be right for anyone else.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
I often self censor, not for harmony, not because I am wary of dissent, but because I am comfortable enough not to try and change anyone else's opinion or feelings about the topic at hand. Most of us come at any issue with a unique outlook based on our own experiences.

I agree with that.And that's not something I can say on this forum very often
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->

Well put RightNow i agree with you also im happy to accept.other peoples opinions even if I don't agree with them.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 06:48 AM

If "manners maketh man" as someone said
He's the hero of the day
It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile
Be yourself no matter what they say
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Do you self censor?..Like, do you refrain from saying things here that you really would like to?...Do you resist challenging the views and opinions of others for the sake of peace and harmony?..for the sake of civility?...Or do you take the attitude that you have every right to state your opinion regardless of what anyone else thinks - like, if they don't like it then they can just suck it up thankyou very much. No right or wrong answer. I just wonder how much people self censor. For myself?..I find I usually try to say what I think. But invariably I try to assert my opinion civilly. I don't have a particularly long fuse. I admit that freely and have before. That's my fault. I have to watch it because it's a fault that is easily exploited. So I self censor at times.

I take the view, that I have as much right to voice my opinion as anyone else, which I do, but, there comes a time when voicing an opinion is one thing, then you get those who challenge you, for voicing that opinion, .....

I try not to get personal in posts, once we do that imo it all goes downhill, Name calling imo is extremely immature, but, we are all learning and growing aren’t we?

As you well know, there is one area in my life where I stand extremely firm, I have stepped back in that area, mainly because nothing can be proved, plus it’s not up for discussion, so I’m unable to discuss the subject matter.....I have another place where I visit, where I can discuss, until my hearts content,

I do read quite a few of the more controversial threads, which can be quite an eye opener, I can see quite a few take what is said personally, then the mud starts flying, then it gets personal......

On saying that, at one time I would argue all day and all night, ...for what, I ask myself “ NOW”......

I learnt from it though!.....so it was all meant to be....imo/ belief.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 07:47 AM

Amen.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 07:50 AM

Yes always best to engage brain before mouth ..as much as I’d like to tell them what’s what
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 07:57 AM

I just let them get on with it.

OK, I feel like saying something awfully anti Israeli on that thread about the conflict, but I've said something anti Jew on here in the past, and one or two posters, with stronger feelings on the subject than I, got pissed off. So I'm happy to leave it.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 08:10 AM

It depends on how hard you bite your tongue!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top