Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 08:12 AM

Re: self censorship

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
It depends on how hard you bite your tongue!
My tongue got so sore ,it’s taking ages to heal! 😂🤣🤣😮😮

Mind you it won over me at times, ruddy tongue ,gets us into trouble if we allow it.

Why am I blaming my tongue?.....it just had words with me,😮😮😮

I find you a mature person Art, you aren’t a pushover....but you make your point, then leave it.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
My tongue got so sore ,it’s taking ages to heal! 😂🤣🤣😮😮

Mind you it won over me at times, ruddy tongue ,gets us into trouble if we allow it.

Why am I blaming my tongue?.....it just had words with me,😮😮😮

I find you a mature person Art, you aren’t a pushover....but you make your point, then leave it.
Pauline, Me mature? I’m the opposite!
l think l’m more a kamikaze pilot, l walk right into things, guns blazing and get marmalised!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Pauline, Me mature? I’m the opposite!
l think l’m more a kamikaze fighter, l walk right into things, guns blazing and get marmalised!

That’s not what I read in your posts, you know when to leave...I’ve just learnt that....I think....now watch me be put to the test....😂😮

I can tell a lot from reading replies from members to others....it’s all in the replies, oh, and how it’s addressed.. imo.

I can pick up on emotions in replies,

Including my own...😮🤪😂
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 08:36 AM

I wouldn't say I self censor, but I do think before I speak (or type), and try to word it in a way that is diplomatic. Especially with text, because text can be taken very literally as there are no other signals to say otherwise. Is that self censoring? No.... I still say what I think.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 08:40 AM

I don't get involved in controversial threads - I'll read them, but not contribute. Been there on other fora, and lived to regret it. It doesn't mean I don't have an opinion, but I have no overwhelming desire to try to change others' opinions.

So yes, I guess that means I self-censor.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
do you refrain from saying things here that you really would like to?..
I probably would if I knew how to do it.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 09:02 AM

Social media is a minefield for wanting to put up one’s own replies, contributions, posts. Say one thing that somebody doesn’t like and the nastiness comes out. I was recently accused of being a troll and a keyboard warrior, just for what I called the next door child. It was all rather frightening, but sorted.

Nowadays, I keep away from most places that invite comments, including online newspapers, like the Daily Mail. I might agree or disagree with what someone has put, but refrain from adding my own thoughts.

Sometimes my fingers can be itching to write something, but I stop myself.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 09:02 AM

Do you self censor?..Like, do you refrain from saying things here that you really would like to?...Do you resist challenging the views and opinions of others for the sake of peace and harmony?
Yes indeed
'In life ' I have found expressing an uncensored view has caused unnecessary pain to others, words said couldn't be taken back. I know better now

On forums their are 'rules' and I have often had to refrain from saying what I really think to a person I would not normally have anything to do with in real life.

There was a time when my strong opinions would make me peruse those with an opposing view to the bitter end (examples of this include on our sister site, chasing down those who advocate outdated and cruel methods of training dogs ) I occasionally manged to change an opinion but rarely.

Similarly I have strong views on many things and hoped by putting forward logic and science I could change the views of others but it rarely happens.
Now most of the time I just state my opinion and leave it at that, others can take on the task of arguing a point. A stressful life and getting upset about things has taken its toll physically and taking a deep breath and walking away is now the option I must take.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 09:22 AM

After the OW interview with Harry and Meghan, my US friend emailed with her thoughts on the subject and was strongly against the Royal Family and what they are purported to have done. She believed everything that came out of H&M’s mouths.

I explained some things, but she still wouldn’t be swayed, so I took a huge step back and refused to get into a big argument. We have been friends too long to have let strangers come between us. There was so much I wanted to say to her, to put her right on, but couldn’t be bothered.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Do you self censor?..Like, do you refrain from saying things here that you really would like to?...Do you resist challenging the views and opinions of others for the sake of peace and harmony?..for the sake of civility?...Or do you take the attitude that you have every right to state your opinion regardless of what anyone else thinks - like, if they don't like it then they can just suck it up thank you very much. No right or wrong answer. I just wonder how much people self censor. For myself?..I find I usually try to say what I think. But invariably I try to assert my opinion civilly. I don't have a particularly long fuse. I admit that freely and have before. That's my fault. I have to watch it because it's a fault that is easily exploited. So I self censor at times.
Honest answer is - it depends where I am and to whom I am speaking. With a group of close friends - probably not - as we have known each other for years and all feel free to express views, challenge and be challenged without falling out.

In a more formal setting - yes, I would - for the sake of harmony. There are still, in my opinion, subjects that should not be discussed round the dinner table.

I am also careful with family - mine are wide spread and do not meet up often enough for us to be totally aware of each others likes, dislikes and/or tolerances. Good manners rule.

On a forum - such as OFF - where one cannot see facial expressions, be certain of subtle nuances, appreciate different senses of humour etc., then a little censorship is always wise.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top