Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 12:11 PM

Re: self censorship

The tongue has no bones yet its strong enough to break a heart so be careful with your words

I learned this throughout my life and try to remember it . Chatting on social media with text is difficult to actually express ones thoughts and feelings and it can come across as harsh whereas if you are face to face with people expressions and words come across differently.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 12:32 PM

What really gets to me is those people who simply refuse to take offence, no matter how hard you try.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 02:15 PM

We could use more of it, keezoy. I suspect most of us often think worse things than we say - running those thoughts and opinions through filters of analysis, consideration, and wording so we can present our views in a way that respect the receiver and make our viewpoints valid.

I suspect most of us learned self-censorship early, daring not to bring home the words to our mothers that we learned in the schoolyard.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 02:20 PM

Carla Bruni-Sarkozy on cancel culture…

“Little by little and without warning, do-gooders and censorship have taken control. Obsessed by their image of upholders of morality, a whole load of people without culture, without experience and without courage are trying to impose their narrow-minded ideas on us. Their sterile, uniform and puerile ideas are seeking to invade humanity. If we have the misfortune not to think like them, they rush at us with all their dictatorial energy to try to make us be quiet. Humour is quietly disappearing as a result of their moralising speeches, freedom is in its death throes, creation is lifeless and democracy in great danger. In short, it is not good to joke in 2021…”
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 02:50 PM

How very true Vlad .... but ... conversely the opposite also seems to be true now.

Not so much censorship.
Instead say what you like, and pay the price, and the one who can do the loudest 'shouting down' seems to get the upperhand. It's verbalised mob-mentality.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 03:04 PM

It seems to me that eventually we all be silenced
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 03:16 PM

All the time. In fact I typed a reply to post a few minutes ago but then deleted it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Carla Bruni-Sarkozy on cancel culture…

“Little by little and without warning, do-gooders and censorship have taken control. Obsessed by their image of upholders of morality, a whole load of people without culture, without experience and without courage are trying to impose their narrow-minded ideas on us. Their sterile, uniform and puerile ideas are seeking to invade humanity. If we have the misfortune not to think like them, they rush at us with all their dictatorial energy to try to make us be quiet. Humour is quietly disappearing as a result of their moralising speeches, freedom is in its death throes, creation is lifeless and democracy in great danger. In short, it is not good to joke in 2021…”
Exactly Vlad, that's what I meant.
Vlad
West Midlands UK

15-05-2021, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
All the time. In fact I typed a reply to post a few minutes ago but then deleted it.
I am assuming that you are white, male and heterosexual. If so you a personally responsible for everything that is wrong in the world, slavery, racism, global warming, capitalism, ingrowing toenails and male patterned baldness..now go to your room and say 5 Hail Marys
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

15-05-2021, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
I am assuming that you are white, male and heterosexual. If so you a personally responsible for everything that is wrong in the world, slavery, racism, global warming, capitalism, ingrowing toenails and male patterned baldness..now go to your room and say 5 Hail Marys
That's me Vlad. I was about to comment on Asian vaccination fears and infertility but I thought better of it. I hope they have lots more babies tbh.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top