Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 10:20 PM

Doing Something

Is it better to be doing something, to be not doing something?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 10:25 PM

Re: Doing Something

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Is it better to be doing something, to be not doing something?
Oh definitely, life would be so boring not doing something...
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 12:22 AM

Even doing nothing is doing something.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 12:26 AM

Not always. Sometimes I think it's good for you to, just for a short while maybe - say 30 minutes per day - To come as close as you can to be doing absolutely nothing. To not only sit as still as possible but to even think of as close to nothing as you can. To "clear" your mind. It's actually more difficult than you'd think but with practice it is possible. Some people call it meditation. That connotates too much for me. I just call it deep mental relaxation. It's not for everybody. It works very well for me.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 01:41 AM

with 5 breathes per minute. I know that it sounds silly but it does work.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
with 5 breathes per minute. I know that it sounds silly but it does work.
Sure does. I've taught it to a lot of people and I do it as often as I can myself. It's so easy it's ridiculous. The most difficult part about it by a mile is getting people to overcome their cynicism about it. The "hippy" connotations. It's just a simple exercise. Absolutely "nothing" more.
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

17-05-2021, 03:11 AM

the theravada thai monks teach simple watching the breathe meditation akin to what iz yuz talkin about - simple not bloody likely - try sitting crossed legs at our ages - back held straight eyes closed - no music and just "watching" the movement of breathe as it navigates the nostrils. but with perseverance i did practice it for a few years it does work - sitting in an armchair - no you may nod off - sitting back straight keeps you awake - rhyming monks too - they also warn about avoiding or ignoring "the chattering of the monkeys" those constant thought conversations that are continually passing through your mind like "did I forget to turn off the gas?" "what shall I buy for tea" etc - in time it is peaceful and the b/p drops ; you become calm and relaxed but also refreshed - but heh nothing comes without a price in this world - in this case stamina - mental stamina!

are you doing nothing - not really if you were you'd be dead - you are transcending!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 05:33 AM

bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

17-05-2021, 07:20 AM

I would say he was the opposite of monks and meditation - he had st vitas dance and needed plenty of drugs to give him meditation or was that medication??
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

17-05-2021, 07:24 AM

You know bret, I ain't heard the term St Vitas Dance since 07/06/1987, 11.06am if I remember right.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top