Join for free
Reply
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Realist's Avatar
Realist
Chatterbox
Realist is offline
UK
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 8,587
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-04-2019, 07:15 PM
21

Re: First ever photo of a Black Hole!

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Good catch, Realist. I mistakenly referred to the M87 black hole as a photo (suggesting that it was taken in a visible wavelength), not an image. You are correct, it is most definitely and amalgam of radio signals collected by many radio telescopes. It's an image.
When you say "an image" what that really means is that at some point a HUMAN has taken radio wave data and used his/her own interpretation of that to translate it into a visual picture.

It is therefore just a piece of art is it not? Technically the structure of the image dutifully conveys the reality of the radio sources but in terms of artistry, colours etc those are surely made up by the artist.
Reply With Quote
Pyxell's Avatar
Pyxell
Senior Member
Pyxell is offline
South of England
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,256
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-04-2019, 07:37 PM
22

Re: First ever photo of a Black Hole!

Jeez.

I give up.
Reply With Quote
OldGreyFox's Avatar
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
OldGreyFox is online now
South Yorkshire
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 10,632
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-04-2019, 11:27 AM
23

Re: First ever photo of a Black Hole!

So I'm thinking 'This is marvellous!' was it NASA or perhaps the European Space Agency who allowed us a galactic out of this world peek at space?......No! it was NDTV........from New Delhi....Sorry, Who?

NDTV
Media company
Image result for ndtv
ndtv.com
DescriptionNew Delhi Television Limited is an Indian television media company founded in 1988 by Radhika Roy, a journalist. In a talk on the 25th anniversary of NDTV, her husband Prannoy Roy said that he joined NDTV a few weeks after Radhika had founded it. Wikipedia
CEO: Suparna Singh (4 Dec 2017Ė)
Headquarters: New Delhi, India
Number of employees: 1,491 (2016)
Founders: Prannoy Roy, Radhika Roy
Subsidiaries: NDTV Lifestyle Limited, NDTV Worldwide Limited,
Reply With Quote
Muddy's Avatar
Muddy
Chatterbox
Muddy is online now
UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 22,397
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-04-2019, 12:27 PM
24

Re: First ever photo of a Black Hole!

Will not affect my life one jot.
Reply With Quote
Rehab44's Avatar
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Rehab44 is offline
Midlands
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 10,080
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-04-2019, 12:56 PM
25

Re: First ever photo of a Black Hole!

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
So I'm thinking 'This is marvellous!' was it NASA or perhaps the European Space Agency who allowed us a galactic out of this world peek at space?......No! it was NDTV........from New Delhi....Sorry, Who?

NDTV
Media company
Image result for ndtv
ndtv.com
DescriptionNew Delhi Television Limited is an Indian television media company founded in 1988 by Radhika Roy, a journalist. In a talk on the 25th anniversary of NDTV, her husband Prannoy Roy said that he joined NDTV a few weeks after Radhika had founded it. Wikipedia
CEO: Suparna Singh (4 Dec 2017Ė)
Headquarters: New Delhi, India
Number of employees: 1,491 (2016)
Founders: Prannoy Roy, Radhika Roy
Subsidiaries: NDTV Lifestyle Limited, NDTV Worldwide Limited,
They nicked it and have since apologised for taking ownership, they steal anything that isnít nailed down
Reply With Quote
Donkeyman
Senior Member
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,312
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-05-2019, 11:12 PM
26

Re: First ever photo of a Black Hole!

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
They nicked it and have since apologised for taking ownership, they steal anything that isnít nailed down
So is this whole (forgive the pun ). Black hole thing just
fake news then?

Regards Donkeyman!
Reply With Quote
OldGreyFox's Avatar
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
OldGreyFox is online now
South Yorkshire
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 10,632
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
03-05-2019, 10:19 AM
27

Re: First ever photo of a Black Hole!

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
So is this whole (forgive the pun ). Black hole thing just
fake news then?

Regards Donkeyman!
Well actually Donkeyman it's a hole, and holes tend to be very illusive, it's only because of the effect it has on the things around it that we think there's something there. It's just like a packet of 'Polo's' you only know the hole is there because it's surrounded by mint, take away the mint and you would never know if the packet was still full of the holes.....

Take for example the story about 'The King's New clothes' that's the same as the story about 'man made global warming' we only know it's happening because we get 'Weather' now....
Reply With Quote
Donkeyman
Senior Member
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,312
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
03-05-2019, 12:19 PM
28

Re: First ever photo of a Black Hole!

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Well actually Donkeyman it's a hole, and holes tend to be very illusive, it's only because of the effect it has on the things around it that we think there's something there. It's just like a packet of 'Polo's' you only know the hole is there because it's surrounded by mint, take away the mint and you would never know if the packet was still full of the holes.....

Take for example the story about 'The King's New clothes' that's the same as the story about 'man made global warming' we only know it's happening because we get 'Weather' now....
Is that why my pockets are allways empty!
Because they are full of holes? OGF!
I allways thought black holes were super dense gravity fields,
Which pull in any unwary objects that approach too closely,
Thus becoming ever more dense, ad infinitum!
I got a grip of your anologies much better though, thank you!

Best Regards Donkeyman!

PS l do find this subject very interesting though!
Reply With Quote
Pyxell's Avatar
Pyxell
Senior Member
Pyxell is offline
South of England
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,256
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
03-05-2019, 01:36 PM
29

Re: First ever photo of a Black Hole!

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Well actually Donkeyman it's a hole, and holes tend to be very illusive, it's only because of the effect it has on the things around it that we think there's something there. It's just like a packet of 'Polo's' you only know the hole is there because it's surrounded by mint, take away the mint and you would never know if the packet was still full of the holes.....

Take for example the story about 'The King's New clothes' that's the same as the story about 'man made global warming' we only know it's happening because we get 'Weather' now....
Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Is that why my pockets are allways empty!
Because they are full of holes? OGF!
I allways thought black holes were super dense gravity fields,
Which pull in any unwary objects that approach too closely,
Thus becoming ever more dense, ad infinitum!
I got a grip of your anologies much better though, thank you!

Best Regards Donkeyman!

PS l do find this subject very interesting though!
You two are so funny!
Reply With Quote
Donkeyman
Senior Member
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,312
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
03-05-2019, 03:21 PM
30

Re: First ever photo of a Black Hole!

Do you mean funny ha ha or funny peculiar Pyxel?

Best Regards Donkeyman!
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.