Join for free
Page 6 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 06:26 PM

Re: On-velope? Or enn-velope?

Originally Posted by MickB ->
You're 'avin' a laugh incha? I've lived in London or on the outskirts my whole life and never heard anyone say "ennvelope"
Maybe not many of us said either ..... Or - I just weren't paying attention ! Envelopes dont grab me interest I guess
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 06:27 PM

Anyway, why you spelling it with 2 ns ....
Trying to confuse Pats even more
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

03-10-2013, 06:30 PM

Theres a song running thru me head now .....
'You say either - and I say iether ....
You say neither - and I say niether .....
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 07:16 PM

I'm from Yorkshire and live in Cheshire and its always been scone around these parts and its en-velope here too.

Scone is spelt with an "e" on the end, so how can it be scon?
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->

Scone is spelt with an "e" on the end, so how can it be scon?

give, have, olive

live (live in Cheshire)
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 07:50 PM

We've just had scones for tea, I put some grated cheddar cheese on mine and very nice they were too.
Every one I know here says envelope, put it in an envelope and post it, to envelope the letter with an outer layer of paper, he enveloped her in his eager arms, he enveloped her lips with his, imagine saying he onveloped her, sounds like he scooped out her Fallopian tubes...yuk!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
We've just had scones for tea, I put some grated cheddar cheese on mine and very nice they were too.
Every one I know here says envelope, put it in an envelope and post it, to envelope the letter with an outer layer of paper, he enveloped her in his eager arms, he enveloped her lips with his, imagine saying he onveloped her, sounds like he scooped out her Fallopian tubes...yuk!
Double yuk JEM, I was just about to have a late tea, or dinner, or supper, (now there's a topic in waiting), of SCONES & butter.

JUST as an aside, is anyone familiar with DECKLE?
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Markey ->
give, have, olive

Also said (but that could start another discussion as some may mispronounce it as sayd) live (live in Cheshire)

But would you say bon or bone, dron or drone, phon or phone
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 08:27 PM

Im an on-velope kinda person
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 08:32 PM

Why not just REJOICE in all these minor foibles of the English language and regard it as Schadenfreude that our continental brothers & sisters experience discomfort in getting the hang of it.

Page 6 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top