Join for free
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 07:02 PM

Benefits

I'm wondering whether my son would be entitled to any help with some sort of benefit. I know nothing about these things but maybe someone will.

He's been working for several years at a local club. He's handed in his notice now and will finish in 2 weeks time.

He has been unsuccessful in obtaining a paid job in the career he wants to pursue in countryside conservation, despite being well qualified due to voluntary work and now a degree in conservation and management.

He has now been accepted for 6 months voluntary work on the Isles of Scilly. His accommodation and food will be provided.
He will need very little money but will need something for extra bits and pieces. He has very little money to start with, so would he be able to get any help from any benefits?

Could he apply for Job Seekers Allowance bearing in mind he will be away for 6 months and unable to report in weekly, or whenever they are expected to.?

Or, is there some other financial help out there just to put him on for 6 months.?
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 08:30 PM

Re: Benefits

He can find out by making an application over the phone free from the jobcentre.. they will advise him.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 08:41 PM

I doubt he will get JSA as you have to prove you are looking for work by filling in a book and showing the staff when you sign on.

Also if you voluntarily hand in your notice you are ineligible I understand.

He may get some other benefit best place to ask is the CAB.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 08:52 PM

Thank you Cassie and Julie

I'll make those suggestions to him. He can only try.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 09:06 PM

He sounds like a good bloke.
I wish him well and am sure he will do just that in due course.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-10-2013, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
He sounds like a good bloke.
I wish him well and am sure he will do just that in due course.

Thank you Robert
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 08:06 AM

Spoken to a friend whose daughter is working as a production assistant for free for 6 months she doesn't get food or accommodation and no benefits either. It seems take a job like this you have to fund it yourself. Seems a bit short sighted to me as the only way to get into some industries is to do this.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 08:57 AM

Why dosnt he ring some one like BTCV and see if they have any funding to sponsor him.... there are other companies who name I cant think of right now but he should know them... I use to work for BTCV many years ago and we had such schemes ... but I expect they have all been cut now but still worth asking

Just went to get this link for you and I see they have changed name to TCV now

http://www.jobsandcareersmag.com/btcv/
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-10-2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Spoken to a friend whose daughter is working as a production assistant for free for 6 months she doesn't get food or accommodation and no benefits either. It seems take a job like this you have to fund it yourself. Seems a bit short sighted to me as the only way to get into some industries is to do this.

Makes you wonder how they are expected to survive with no income. Must be down to parents again to give the support.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-10-2013, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
Why dosnt he ring some one like BTCV and see if they have any funding to sponsor him.... there are other companies who name I cant think of right now but he should know them... I use to work for BTCV many years ago and we had such schemes ... but I expect they have all been cut now but still worth asking

Just went to get this link for you and I see they have changed name to TCV now

http://www.jobsandcareersmag.com/btcv/

Thanks Baggy, I will give him the link.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top