Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 06:38 AM

Re: Pie & mash, Sunday Roast, Fish & Chips and Yorkshire pudding

My other half & myself went to a local chippy very recently after he'd finished work.. it was a Tuesday & we play darts at 7.30 so dinner can be a rush if ive been out n about all day... anyway I waffled there!! We go to a chippy right on the coast where we live overlooking the sea . We ordered 2 pieces of cod & 1 portion of chips as they're huge & I can only eat a few. I had a coffee & himself had a can of coke. The chips were ok and the fish was ot the best & I picked all the batter off mine as it was raw & gooey underneath.... £15 later we left promising ourselves we'd not use that chippy again. Himself has seen the owner since & told him about it & he offered us a freebie for 2 whenever we fancy it. Trouble is we dont lol Even the coffee was yuk but I am a coffee snob and most places do horrible coffee for my liking. Fish & chips used to be a 'poor mans' meal.. well it's certainly not that anymore
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
My other half & myself went to a local chippy very recently after he'd finished work.. it was a Tuesday & we play darts at 7.30 so dinner can be a rush if ive been out n about all day... anyway I waffled there!! We go to a chippy right on the coast where we live overlooking the sea . We ordered 2 pieces of cod & 1 portion of chips as they're huge & I can only eat a few. I had a coffee & himself had a can of coke. The chips were ok and the fish was ot the best & I picked all the batter off mine as it was raw & gooey underneath.... £15 later we left promising ourselves we'd not use that chippy again. Himself has seen the owner since & told him about it & he offered us a freebie for 2 whenever we fancy it. Trouble is we dont lol Even the coffee was yuk but I am a coffee snob and most places do horrible coffee for my liking. Fish & chips used to be a 'poor mans' meal.. well it's certainly not that anymore
At the chippy we use I ask for a lightly battered large cod which is £4.30 and is quite large enough for the two of us to share. Good value IMO.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 06:54 AM

I think if ours had been nice we'd probably not mentioned the £15 lol It certainly depends on who is frying in the place we go to.. the owner is very good but wasn't there that evening.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 10:42 AM

In answer Linda to your question do others eat Haggis. I don't and
never have I just don't fancy it and its contents. My Sister however
does eat it and thinks it is great. So just depends. I don't know
anyone else who eats it and I do know lots of people.
Those fish and chips Cassie sound horrendous. I go to the bingo
and when I meet my friend we get fish, chips and mushy peas for 2.
It only costs £7.99 and that's for 2 meals the drinks are extra.
If the batter was mushy that means the heat was not hot enough
to cook it properly.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 11:50 AM

You get a small fish supper at my favourite chippie for £4.50 and its plenty. I'd hate to be feeding a treat to a family in a chippie. The prices are ridiculous.

I only have haggis, neeps and fatties on Robert Burns Day
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 12:00 PM

I find our chippy quite reasonable, they do a large cod and chips for £7 which is enough fish for my husband and Grace and we have enough chips in the pack for all 3 of us. They do a nice vegetarian burger too for £2.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 01:34 PM

It looks like Cod is the favouite fish back in England, while Haddock is preferred up here. They cost the same locally, so I buy haddie. I've tried several recipes for batter, and settled on BeRo SR flour, salt, pepper and 'Hobgoblin' dark ale. It makes a beautifully thin crispy batter. I'm sure that other flours (eg. Alinsons) and ales would work fine as long as they're good quality.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
It looks like Cod is the favouite fish back in England, while Haddock is preferred up here. They cost the same locally, so I buy haddie. I've tried several recipes for batter, and settled on BeRo SR flour, salt, pepper and 'Hobgoblin' dark ale. It makes a beautifully thin crispy batter. I'm sure that other flours (eg. Alinsons) and ales would work fine as long as they're good quality.
Not at all George in the south maybe but from Worcestershire upwards in my experience there has always Haddock served in fish and chip shops . I don't think there is any comparison between the two, Haddock is far superior to my taste .
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Sounds delicious!
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
In answer Linda to your question do others eat Haggis. I don't and
never have I just don't fancy it and its contents. My Sister however
does eat it and thinks it is great. So just depends. I don't know
anyone else who eats it and I do know lots of people.
Was just curious. That's something something I've ever seen around here. Not that I'd go hunting for it or anything

Now you all have me hungry for fish & chips, haha. Love that meal. Fish & chips here is typically made with any type of whitefish, usually cod or haddock.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top