Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2013, 04:14 PM

Recipes true or false.

I often wonder if those writing recipes put them down wrong on purpose because they want to keep them secret .

I have just been testing some easy biscuit recipes for the children to make and they all need adjusting in some way from quantities to cooking times and temperatures.
One lot went in the bin.

I own just about every cookery book imaginable, all the Nigelas, Delias , Jamies which for some reason people thought would make a good christmas or birthday present but I always revert to my old Good Housekeeping book and tried and tested recipes I know work.

Recipes and cookery books should carry a note..

''Any resemblance between the finished item and the recipe is purely accidental''
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2013, 04:25 PM

Re: Recipes true or false.

There are only 3 cooks I find write really good recipes that never fail me Queen Delia Smith, Lady Marguerite Patten and Dame Mary Berry !

You can keep the rest those 3 are all you need.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
There are only 3 cooks I find write really good recipes that never fail me Queen Delia Smith, Lady Marguerite Patten and Dame Mary Berry !

You can keep the rest those 3 are all you need.
I made Mary Berry's Lemon Meringue pie recently and was not impressed. There was no butter in the lemon mix, I always have butter in mine (and I notice Delia does too ) .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2013, 04:37 PM

I have never added butter to the filling looked at my recipe and it's one of my gran's grandmother's !
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2013, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I often wonder if those writing recipes put them down wrong on purpose because they want to keep them secret .

I have just been testing some easy biscuit recipes for the children to make and they all need adjusting in some way from quantities to cooking times and temperatures.
One lot went in the bin.

I own just about every cookery book imaginable, all the Nigelas, Delias , Jamies which for some reason people thought would make a good christmas or birthday present but I always revert to my old Good Housekeeping book and tried and tested recipes I know work.

Recipes and cookery books should carry a note..

''Any resemblance between the finished item and the recipe is purely accidental''
I have the Good Housekeeping book too, it's worth it's weight in gold. I agree about some recipes in some cookery books, I have had one or two disasters.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

31-10-2013, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I have the Good Housekeeping book too, it's worth it's weight in gold. I agree about some recipes in some cookery books, I have had one or two disasters.

It is so annoying not just the waste of ingredients but the time wasted too .

I once made recipe for passion fruit brulee, it both looked and tasted like someone had been ill, thank goodness I tested it before people came for a meal .
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2013, 05:13 PM

I hate wasting food but if it's not edible you have no choice but to either bin it or feed it to the birds.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2013, 07:17 PM

My wife uses the Odlums recipes on line especially if she's trying out something she hasn't tried before, I act as a sort of test pilot for her and I'm still alive.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

31-10-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
My wife uses the Odlums recipes on line especially if she's trying out something she hasn't tried before, I act as a sort of test pilot for her and I'm still alive.
..are you Jem
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2013, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
..are you Jem
Just about Meg, just about, but credit where it's due she does make lovely scones and apple tarts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top