Join for free
Page 505 of 1676 « First < 5 405 455 495 503 504 505 506 507 515 555 605 1005 1505 > Last »
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 01:04 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by Jem ->
The Spanish Lady
The Dubliners

As I came down through Dublin City
At the hour of twelve at night
Who should I spy but a Spanish lady
Washing her feet by the candlelight
First she washed them, then she dried them
Over a fire of amber coals
In all me life I ne'er did see
A maid so sweet about the soul
Whack for the Too Rye, ooh, Ray lady
Whack for the Too Rye, ooh, Rye aye
As I came back through Dublin City
At the hour of half past eight
Who should I spy but the Spanish lady
Brushing her hair in the broad daylight
First she brushed it, then she tossed it
On her lap was a silver comb
In all me life I ne'er did see
A maid so fair since I did roam
Whack for the Too Rye, ooh, Ray lady
Whack for the Too Rye, ooh, Rye aye.
GBY Ronnie DREW
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 02:43 PM

Ging gang goolie goolie goolie goolie watcha,
Ging gang goo, ging gang goo.

Ging gang goolie goolie goolie goolie watcha,
Ging gang goo, ging gang goo.

Hayla, oh hayla shayla, oh hayla shayla, shayla, oh-ho,
Hayla, oh hayla shayla, oh hayla shayla, shayla, oh.

Shally wally, shally wally, shally wally, shally wally,
Oompah, oompah, oompah, oompah.

They sure don't write songs like this anymore

In a tiny house
By a tiny stream
Where a lovely lass
Had a lovely dream
And the last I heard
They still lived happily
In Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen by the Sea
In Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen by the Sea

or that
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 03:38 PM

We're all looking forward to your three score and tenth RJ.;-

I know only too well what it’s like when tools go missing Fruity.

Spanner face.
Talking of spanners and nuts, there used to be a mental institution near to where I live in the Grangecorman area, (I must tell you all some day about the notorious ‘Billy in the bowl’ the legless murderer of Grangegorman in around 1786) anyway it’s now a new university.
Back in the seventies an unnamed inmate escaped and dashed through the back gardens of the nearby houses, an innocent woman was hanging out her laundry on the line when he dragged her to the ground and sexually assaulted her, he then dashed off, the warders heard her screams and gave chase.
The headlines in the ‘Irish Independent’ next morning read “Nut Screws Washer and Bolts”

Is the sweet one on holidays or what?
She suffered a bereavement, and her hubby has taken her away for a week to try and take her mind off things.

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Does Bona Fide matter?
Isn't that a dog food, or am I thinking of Bona Fido?
Robert Jnr.
UK

23-02-2018, 04:17 PM

Isn't that a dog food, or am I thinking of Bona Fido?

My guess is that you have a bad case of speaking in POLARI

Varda me lallies, bijou, bold, eek, fabuloso........ BONA homs.. ennit
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 07:31 PM

Thanks Fruity for letting us know about Sweetie.

Quote RJ, "They sure don't write songs like this anymore"

Nor this piece of lyrical genius.

"Well be-bop-a-Lula she's my baby
Be-bop-a-Lula I don't mean maybe
Be-bop-a-Lula she's my baby
Be-bop-a-Lula she's my baby doll
My baby doll, my baby doll"

Beat that Gummy!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 07:41 PM

The Notorious Billy in the Bowl.

Grangegorman is only ten minutes walk from where I live, I remember as a boy the older members of my family speak of this evil character., his deeds seem to have passed down the generations of Dubliners.
Here is a very much condensed version of the villains antics. In the engraving below I couldn’t help noticing the muscles on his arms, all that shifting around in the bowl must have made his arms as strong as pillars.
The first thing me grandson said when he saw the picture was “Couldn’t they find a bigger bowl granda?”(he’s a fan of the M&M ads.)

“The handsome, deformed beggar Billy Davis or 'Billy in The Bowl' as he was known terrorised the streets of Grangegorman in the 18th century. Davis was born with no legs.
In and around 1786, Dublin’s first-ever police force was mobilised, and the first case they were confronted with was the 11 Grangegorman Lane Murder, where a sturdy servant girl had been robbed, beaten and strangled. In the months leading up to the murder, a number of young servant girls were lured into ditches and robbed, and the police were inundated with so many complaints that a nightly patrol was placed on the district. Pitied and unsuspected, a handsome, deformed beggar dragged himself across the streets. This was Billy in the Bowl. This was the man they were looking for, the Stoneybatter Strangler.
Although it was suspected it could not be proved that he murdered his victims but he was convicted of robbery with violence and confined in the jail in Green Street. Although he was severely disabled he was employed in hard labour for the remainder of his days. His notoriety caused him to be viewed as an object of curiosity and because of this certain members of high society visited the prison in order to titillate their senses. (seems we've always had weirdo's

Although it was never proven that it was he who had committed the murders in the Grangegorman-Stoneybatter district the area once more settled back into some sort of normality. A quiet suburb where old ladies and young girls could walk the streets safely as they went about their business”

So beware old ladies and young girls, never trust a man in a bowl, he might be handsome but he ain’t no sunshine breakfast.

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 10:37 PM

Thanks Fruity for letting us know about Sweetie.

Quote RJ, "They sure don't write songs like this anymore"

Nor this piece of lyrical genius.

"Well be-bop-a-Lula she's my baby
Be-bop-a-Lula she's my baby
Be-bop-a-Lula she's my baby doll
My baby doll, my baby doll"

Beat that Gummy!

Gonna tell Aunt Mary 'bout Uncle John
He claim he has the misery but he's havin' a lot of fun
Oh baby, yeah baby, woo
Havin' me some fun tonight, yeah
Well long, tall Sally
She's built for speed, she got
Everything that Uncle John need, oh baby
Yeah baby, woo baby
Well, I saw Uncle John with long tall Sally
He saw Aunt Mary comin' and he ducked back in the alley oh baby
Yeah baby, woo baby
Havin' me some fun tonight, yeah, ow
Well, long, tall Sally
She's built for speed, she got
Everything that Uncle John need, oh baby
Yeah baby, woo baby
Well, I…

wot I'd like to now is who's this nameless cretin having fun with ??
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 10:40 PM

The Notorious Billy in the Bowl.

Grangegorman is only ten minutes walk from where I live, I remember as a boy the older members of my family speak of this evil character., his deeds seem to have passed down the generations of Dubliners.
Here is a very much condensed version of the villains antics. In the engraving below I couldn’t help noticing the muscles on his arms, all that shifting around in the bowl must have made his arms as strong as pillars.
The first thing me grandson said when he saw the picture was “Couldn’t they find a bigger bowl granda?”(he’s a fan of the M&M ads.)

“The handsome, deformed beggar Billy Davis or 'Billy in The Bowl' as he was known terrorised the streets of Grangegorman in the 18th century. Davis was born with no legs.
In and around 1786, Dublin’s first-ever police force was mobilised, and the first case they were confronted with was the 11 Grangegorman Lane Murder, where a sturdy servant girl had been robbed, beaten and strangled. In the months leading up to the murder, a number of young servant girls were lured into ditches and robbed, and the police were inundated with so many complaints that a nightly patrol was placed on the district. Pitied and unsuspected, a handsome, deformed beggar dragged himself across the streets. This was Billy in the Bowl. This was the man they were looking for, the Stoneybatter Strangler.
Although it was suspected it could not be proved that he murdered his victims but he was convicted of robbery with violence and confined in the jail in Green Street. Although he was severely disabled he was employed in hard labour for the remainder of his days. His notoriety caused him to be viewed as an object of curiosity and because of this certain members of high society visited the prison in order to titillate their senses. (seems we've always had weirdo's

Although it was never proven that it was he who had committed the murders in the Grangegorman-Stoneybatter district the area once more settled back into some sort of normality. A quiet suburb where old ladies and young girls could walk the streets safely as they went about their business”

So beware old ladies and young girls, never trust a man in a bowl, he might be handsome but he ain’t no sunshine breakfast.

that's nay a bowl it's a basket!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

23-02-2018, 10:56 PM

That’s a bowl as sure as eggs is eggs, no photos in them days only wood engravings, the lines in the engraving give the impression of a woven basket my good man.

About that Welch dresser you went out with Gummy, here’s a Limerick with legs featured specially made up for you.

The Welsh dresser.

There was a young woman God bless her
Who threw her leg over the dresser
The dresser was high, it caught in her thigh
Now she is one leg the lesser.
Robert Jnr.
UK

23-02-2018, 11:03 PM

As our lyrics are in decline in content and taste I thought I'd slip one in, no pun intended.

KEEP YOUR HAND ON YOUR HA'PENNY

When Molly began to go courting
Her mother was anxious to tell
How certain young fellas would want her
to stray down the pathway to 'ell
So Molly's old ma used to say:

cho: Keep your hand on your ha'penny
Cover it well with your palm
Keep your hand on your ha'penny
And Molly will come to no harm

They'll hug you and kiss you so sweetly
They'll make you feel ever so nice,
But handle the fellas discretely
And follow this simple advice:

When Molly and I went out courting
I told her she'd nothing to fear
But down in the meadow last Sunday
I whispered these words in her ear

Take your hand of your ha'penny
Look into my bonny blue eyes
Take your hand of your ha'penny
And I'll give you --- a lovely surprise!

tsk

Page 505 of 1676 « First < 5 405 455 495 503 504 505 506 507 515 555 605 1005 1505 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top