Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

11-10-2013, 02:18 AM

Moggs The Cat Caught A Baby Snake!

I put my beloved cat Moggs outside everyday in the garden,i have a small tin shed with a sandy floor,i tie him up on 5 metres of rope to stop him running on the road,he is not an indoor cat,he is a very wild feral thing with a penchant for rodents,bees,cockroaches,flies,lizards and SNAKES.

Cats are very inquisitive critters,if it moves they like to investigate it,i caught him with a very poisinous Guarda snake,it was only about 10 inches long,i couldent tell really because it was chewing on its tail,the snake was thrashing around trying to bite him but it just diden't have the fangs to get through its fur.
Here is a picture for you,i killed it of course,I saw the mother 6 months ago going under the house,it was 5 foot long and a beautifull red and gold banding,but it would kill you easily,it must of had the babies in the shed under the old roofing sheets on the ground,I am getting the local Ranger here today to clear them out,the mother will be with them,coming out of hibernation they are very angry,ravenous and full of venom.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2013, 04:16 AM

Re: Moggs The Cat Caught A Baby Snake!

I saw my first snake of the season a couple of weeks ago, a red belly black all of 300mm long. Don't mind black snakes they run away, only browns keep me wary.
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

11-10-2013, 05:45 AM

I hate the damn things Bruce,Browns and Tigers scare me,Blacks are pretty timid though,but if they are here in town now then we are in for a bad season.
This little one fought me when i tried to kill it,was jumping at me too,had it in the laundry tub,had to put a pair of long nose pliers around its head,no i do not like killing them but in the yard or house all niceness goes out of the window.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2013, 06:04 AM

We just have slugs in our garden, they are not poisonous just annoying
eating your plants.
Just wondered if putting a cat on a long lead was a little dangerous as
if it was the Mother snake she might have killed the cat if it was unable to move out of its way?.
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

11-10-2013, 06:15 AM

I cant let him roam,putting him out is fine,you do not get snakes in your yard or garden everyday,but they are coming out of hinernation now,so all the babies are looking for a feed,you get them coming in your house occaisionally,50 feet from my place is virgin bush,its like this in Australia,you see snakes everywhere,but if they are in your yard you kill em before they kill you.
You only worry about kids and pets,Its par for the course in Australia,you just have to live with it,no different to living in Africa with lions or Nth America with bears.
If they get you or your pet then bad luck,wrong place,wrong time,but you have to co-exist,most people are bitten either standing on snakes or trying to kill them.

Billy
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

11-10-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
We just have slugs in our garden, they are not poisonous just annoying
eating your plants.
Just wondered if putting a cat on a long lead was a little dangerous as
if it was the Mother snake she might have killed the cat if it was unable to move out of its way?.
The big mother snake would of took off from the cat,snakes do not like confrontation,if cornered they will attack,Moggs would of freaked if the mother popped out,they are pretty scary things,being a Guarda ( gwardar ) they will get out of your way,a Tiger,Taipan,Brown or Mulga snake (King Brown) will go you,but thats life!
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2013, 12:52 PM

oh the very thought of it scares me to death....I've just been reading about poisonous spiders that that have made their way to the south of Britain and are moving north...people are being bitten..
dreamer
tennessee usa
dreamer is female  dreamer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2013, 11:04 PM

When I had my cats I would find the tails of lizards and sometimes the head in my basement. Eww. Haven't seen a snake yet this year.
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

12-10-2013, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by lavander ->
oh the very thought of it scares me to death....I've just been reading about poisonous spiders that that have made their way to the south of Britain and are moving north...people are being bitten..
I hate spiders,when i lived in Sydney NSW and the Blue Mountains we were forever getting rid of Funnel Web Spiders,what a nasty thing they are,they cause more deaths in Australia than any other spider,Moggs was bitten by a Redback spider about 3 months ago,made him very sick for a week,the Redback is a close relative of the Black Widow spider,i will find a photo for you.
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

12-10-2013, 02:32 AM

Hope these two don't scare you,but the Funnel Web is a fair dinkum real spider who likes to get in your boots or wellies if you leave them out at night,you always shake your boots out in Australia,its normal practice here.
Funnel Web

Look at them fangs! go right through your shoes too!
Redback

Pretty eh! lol.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top