Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 02:08 PM

Re: Energy Bills/switched power suppliers.

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Is that British Gas price fix offer subject to paying an extra premium up front? or have I got it wrong?

I am sure I read that customers who wanted as price freeze had to pay for it, which all seems a bit odd.
No , but you do have to pay a premium if you either switch ar try to cancel
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 03:10 PM

I am not completely certain but I am sure Joe's father got free gas , free TV and Television when he was alive he lived in Roscommon Eire. Why dont pensioners get this service here.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Is that British Gas price fix offer subject to paying an extra premium up front? or have I got it wrong?

I am sure I read that customers who wanted as price freeze had to pay for it, which all seems a bit odd.
Gosh Hammer , that doesn't sound a very good deal..

I don't have to pay a premium up front, I am not with BG though...
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 11:58 PM

you dont have to pay any premium up front, but the price you stick with will be the price you pay when the rises come into force in August, then they are fixed for 18months, but if you want to leave the scheme , then you have to pay a severence premium.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
I am not completely certain but I am sure Joe's father got free gas , free TV and Television when he was alive he lived in Roscommon Eire. Why dont pensioners get this service here.
Not free gas Annie, but an allowance off the Bill, I'm not sure but I think it's around 30% off. The TV license is free and so is travel on trains and busses for the over 66's.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by aitch ->
I am with British Gas, and have been years, I'm not going to make excuses for it and I wont be changing, but here's the thing, yesterday I received my quarterly bill, with a letter stating that in August prices are going to rise substantially, and giving me a month to freeze my prices at today's rate till march 2013, if this letter goes out to everyone, and everyone took them up on the offer, what would be the point of raising prices, or do they know something we dont, is the energy regulator going to step in as they threatened to do last year, which resulted in a price drop, or what !! ???
Aitch, I've always been with British Gas, and received a letter from them today about the price increases. I have just re-read the letter and it offers to freeze prices until 2013, but will have to pay another 5% on top of the new rates that come into effect in August.

QUOTE FROM LETTER:

"You can fix your gas and electricity prices until 2013 by signing up to our new Price Promise March 2013.........
Given the volatile nature of energy prices and the current economic climate, this means to do this there is a 5% premium on top of our new standard tariff rates that come into effect from 18 August 2011"

I take it this means that electricity prices will rise by 16% plus 5%-total 21% increase, and gas prices will rise by 18% plus 5%-total 23% increase.

Not sure whether I will go for this or not-got to let them know before 18 August.....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by merz ->
Aitch, I've always been with British Gas, and received a letter from them today about the price increases. I have just re-read the letter and it offers to freeze prices until 2013, but will have to pay another 5% on top of the new rates that come into effect in August.

QUOTE FROM LETTER:

"You can fix your gas and electricity prices until 2013 by signing up to our new Price Promise March 2013.........
Given the volatile nature of energy prices and the current economic climate, this means to do this there is a 5% premium on top of our new standard tariff rates that come into effect from 18 August 2011"

I take it this means that electricity prices will rise by 16% plus 5%-total 21% increase, and gas prices will rise by 18% plus 5%-total 23% increase.

Not sure whether I will go for this or not-got to let them know before 18 August.....
We received the same letter this morning Merz and took it to mean the same as you did.

We're not sure about it either, there always seems to be a catch somewhere.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2011, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We received the same letter this morning Merz and took it to mean the same as you did.

Works out at big increases doesn't it Mags? What I also thought was, if I go for the fixed price and there are no further increases (wishful thinking perhaps), then they will have made 5% profit from me on gas and electricity....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by merz ->
Works out at big increases doesn't it Mags? What I also thought was, if I go for the fixed price and there are no further increases (wishful thinking perhaps), then they will have made 5% profit from me on gas and electricity....
Or by some miracle they reduce their prices (that's a laugh!) in that time, we would be the losers.....
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

20-07-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That is what I was referring to Mags,
I understand it the same as Merz.
The 18% increase for gas is across the board. If you sign up for the fixed price tariff there is a loading of another 5% making a 23% increase.

If you then change or cancel the agreement you 'may'(will) incur a further charge.
The devil they say is in the detail but in this case it seems to have found a home in Centrica.

Still, these prices from British Gas and I daresay all the others will give you something that money cannot buy.........Poverty.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top