Join for free
Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 05:30 PM

Re: Dispatches,Ch4 tonight ,Growing Up Poor

I felt sorry for those children wise beyond their years about the cost of everything .
Still that is no bad thing in some ways so many of today’s children have no idea what anything costs .

But the children looked weary and they certainly were not living comfortably .
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I’m rewatching the programme again because I didn’t see any expensive possessions in the homes of these despairing families ,so wondering if you have actually watched it .

Cambridge mum already fleeing abuse being penalised on her housing benefit because she was given one bedroom too many. Her daughter afraid Social Services might be brought in ?
Imagine the child’s worry and fear.

Danielle swatting for her GCSE’s in those cramped conditions , both parents falling ill with mental health issues and she worrying her dad might do away with himself ?
The pressures of homelessness and revising in cramped conditions taking it’s toll on her .

Then Rosie’s mum , penalised for working overtime on her 16 hr a week job topped up by Universal Credit .
Have you any idea what the latter is and the nightmare conditions fetching it in have brought about ?

Did you notice the word IF in my post Zuleika? I was just remarking
on the difference in what is considered essential nowadays to what
we cnsidered essential in earlier times. You are right, l did not see
the whole programne but only parts of it at different times, but l did'nt
base my post on that particular article but commented more
generally about modern prceptions v previous era's.
Regards Donoeyman!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 06:45 PM

Donkeyman I won't reveal my age just be satisfied I lived in those times you've spoken about and it's absolutely pointless making comparisons between then and now .
This is about children in poverty in the year 2019 and getting worse . Refer to the work of all the food banks set up and ask yourself " Why are these needed in this day and age ? "
It's certainly not because parents are spending on luxuries instead of food and energy bills .
It's because the draconian welfare system is depriving them by any which way , the latest the fetching in of Universal Credit despite being advised it would leave families waiting for weeks without payment because of the flaws in it depriving families such as the Cambridge one without enough coming in to live on ,forcing some to crumble under such pressure the result being a decline in mental health .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 07:43 PM

I watched this programme and wondered if the children were actors? They seemed too articulate and didn’t seem starved at all.
One of the women featured owned her house!

I noticed mobile phones, even some of the children had them!

Perhaps, my idea of poverty is different from modern day poverty?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 08:33 PM

Donkeyman I won't reveal my age just be satisfied I lived in those times you've spoken about and it's absolutely pointless making comparisons between then and now .
This is about children in poverty in the year 2019 and getting worse . Refer to the work of all the food banks set up and ask yourself " Why are these needed in this day and age ? "
It's certainly not because parents are spending on luxuries instead of food and energy bills .
It's because the draconian welfare system is depriving them by any which way , the latest the fetching in of Universal Credit despite being advised it would leave families waiting for weeks without payment because of the flaws in it depriving families such as the Cambridge one without enough coming in to live on ,forcing some to crumble under such pressure the result being a decline in mental health .

So do do you think the present welfare system should revert to the
1950s/60s Zuleika? I cant speak about the relative merits of any
benefits system in whatever era as l never had to avail myself of
any of them, allthough l cansee the need for some sort of system
to cater for truly disadvantaged individuals.
However, l do object to individuals with no impairments or special
circumstances from recieving benefits for petty or fraudulent
reasons!
Regards Donkeyman!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
So do do you think the present welfare system should revert to the
1950s/60s Zuleika? I cant speak about the relative merits of any
benefits system in whatever era as l never had to avail myself of
any of them, allthough l cansee the need for some sort of system
to cater for truly disadvantaged individuals.
However, l do object to individuals with no impairments or special
circumstances from recieving benefits for petty or fraudulent
reasons!
Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman once again you’re moving off the point of this programme being made by fetching up fraudulent benefit claimants . A different subject altogether .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 11:06 PM

Everyone in life, has the chance to accrue extra value, it comes at a cost, and some are not prepared to make the investment.
Zuleika
North West UK

07-12-2019, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I watched this programme and wondered if the children were actors? They seemed too articulate and didn’t seem starved at all.
One of the women featured owned her house!

I noticed mobile phones, even some of the children had them!

Perhaps, my idea of poverty is different from modern day poverty?
Art ,I typed various replies to this post last night but deleted them because I was so angry you should even suggest articulate children might be actors and that because they didn't look starved ( did you miss the food banks bits?) they didn't fit in with your idea of poverty .

Mobile phones for online Internet access are essential in order to claim Universal Credit. But you assumed that these were luxuries I suppose ?
What really got to me was your criticsm of a mum who owned her own home ,when she was penalised for working overtime and explained the worry of the cost of finding money to pay for her daughter's funeral .

It's very clear to me that a lot of people don't know what that documentary was really about .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 02:12 PM

Art ,I typed various replies to this post last night but deleted them because I was so angry you should even suggest articulate children might be actors and that because they didn't look starved ( did you miss the food banks bits?) they didn't fit in with your idea of poverty .

Mobile phones for online Internet access are essential in order to claim Universal Credit. But you assumed that these were luxuries I suppose ?
What really got to me was your criticsm of a mum who owned her own home ,when she was penalised for working overtime and explained the worry of the cost of finding money to pay for her daughter's funeral .

It's very clear to me that a lot of people don't know what that documentary was really about .
Zuleika, l wrote a long piece about when my family lived in poverty in the 1950’s. You know when there were no benefits or food banks but l scrubbed it as l knew it would fall on your deaf ears.
I don’t think you really know the meaning of poverty.
Zuleika
North West UK

07-12-2019, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Zuleika, l wrote a long piece about when my family lived in poverty in the 1950’s. You know when there were no benefits or food banks but l scrubbed it as l knew it would fall on your deaf ears.
I don’t think you really know the meaning of poverty.
Art I was a very young poor housewife with a baby in the 50's so don't tell me I don't know the meaning of poverty but there was no such poverty brought about by the Benefits System
as there is today .
THAT is what the documentary was about ! Poverty today,children at the mercy of a flawed Benefits System , things like the Trussel trust being set up to feed families at the mercy of a flawed Benefits System leaving those unfortunates applying for Universal Credit as long as 5 weeks without any payment .
8 foodbanks in Cambridge! Doesn't that speak for itself ?
Same thing all over the UK .
In a country that doesn't mind giving out financial aid to foreign countries it's a complete disgrace !

Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top