Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 09:44 PM

Re: Franchise - fancy it?

The investment for PP was about £12k, but then they suggested a small van which would have to be converted, and so they suggested then a total of about £20k!!!

Nah!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
There are other ways to make money online such as writing articles for websites. With Google requiring 'original' content now more than ever articles are in constant demand. You won't earn a fortune but there is money to be made doing it. I will make another post shortly about it and will supply website contacts.
I shall look forward to that and if I make good money, I'll send you something to keep you safe from dogs on your runs
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I shall look forward to that and if I make good money, I'll send you something to keep you safe from dogs on your runs
Making enquiries in to this. Hoping I can come up with something concrete soon.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 08:25 AM

I've often wondered about online work as I could work from home but I've always been worried about the scams. As you say, you'd need to really be sure (and how do you know if the testimonials are authentic?).
It is not just scams you have to be aware of but under-capitalisation and bad market research.

Forty years ago a couple who were friends of a friend invested/borrowed in a Mcdonald's franchise in the western suburbs of Sydney. Because they thought it was an up and coming way to print money they skimped on market research. I have long forgotten all the reasons but basically because of a bad location and business planning they went broke within 6 months.

At the end of all this the young couple, in their mid/late twenties, had a debt of something like half a million dollars which 40 years ago was a massive sum. Not the ideal way to start off your business life is it?

Like others of you here I have thought about an on line business but frankly I am too comfortably off in my retirement to bother.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It is not just scams you have to be aware of but under-capitalisation and bad market research.
Good advice. Trouble is, I suppose, many that attempt franchises are a little bit desperate and that affects their thinking, making it very hard for them to be objective.

I had a good look at lots of franchises and all of them seemed to have good and bad points about them. But who knows there could be one that fits the bill perfectly, and it could well be you could do it without tieing yourself to a franchise at all - steal the idea .
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 10:04 AM

Many thanks for the advice Bruce.

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Like others of you here I have thought about an on line business but frankly I am too comfortably off in my retirement to bother.
Some of us here were extremely well-off until circumstances changed things drastically so, for some of us, needs must when the devil drives - so to speak.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 10:12 AM

Many thanks for the advice Bruce.

Some of us here were extremely well-off until circumstances changed things drastically so, for some of us, needs must when the devil drives - so to speak.
That's my situation. No state pension for 18 months or more. No income from the NHS (no bookings). Savings supplementing small occupational pension. Everything going up in price. I need to earn some money but I'm done with commuting, working in an office, power crazy managers, irritating colleagues, office politics and the getting up to an alarm clock.

Working online would suit me down to the ground, even at odd hours.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

24-08-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->

Working online would suit me down to the ground, even at odd hours.
We'll keep our fingers crossed that Mark and, hopefully, others can make sure those of us that are not well informed about it all can help steer us in the right direction (actually, any direction would do at the moment )
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

24-08-2013, 10:21 AM

We'll keep our fingers crossed that Mark and, hopefully, others can make sure those of us that are not well informed about it all can help steer us in the right direction (actually, any direction would do at the moment )
About Article Writing

Well the advise I have had so far from one colleague is that I should organise the whole shebang myself and act like a middle man selling the articles directly. Wasn't exactly looking for that kind of involvement so holding back a bit on that idea . Still I have some feelers out and hopefully I can get some contacts soon. Knowledge sells these days apparently but how much for is the big question.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

24-08-2013, 10:24 AM

What price feeling useful though?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top