Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 05:14 PM

Keeping tabs on Energy

We signed-up to a new tariif in November with our Energy Provider and my wife tells me that they told her the increase amounted to 7% but I've just compared December 2012's statement to the December 2013 one we've just had and it's 17.6% more.

I know it's very difficult to work these things out for yourself but to me it seemed we're now paying more than double the stated increase so I sat down and worked it out myself.

We know almost exactly what our consumption Gas is because we set out room thermostat & our boiler to the same point every year at this time and although in terms of Kilowatt Hours it was slightly higher, that difference was only just over £1.11 on our old tariff but £18.34 on the latest statement using the new tariff.

When I went back over the statement I realised that despite my providing meter readings on the 31st of December, they've estimated our bill up to the 10th of January and used THEIR figures on the Statement.

I wondered if anyone else had experience this because friends of ours have found their provider doing exactly the same thing!

Both their provider and ours say that they encourage us to give our monthly meter readings online & on-time to give us more control over our Energy expenditure but what's the point if they then fail to abide by our meter readings and base Statements on estimations?

Their estimation on our Gas was nearly £11.00 more than it should have been because I checked our meter again on the 10th of January - the day the Statement is dated!

It seems to me that no matter how you try, you cannot win against Energy Companies! stevmk2
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 05:22 PM

Re: Keeping tabs on Energy

Think you're right there, stevmk2, my other half checks ours but can't seem to agree the utility company's figures, it's obviously rigged!!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 09:19 PM

I used to give my meter readings online to EDF but now I understand one of our managers pops in to take readings and passes them on, as I seem to get a bill with the charge already calculated. I preferred being in control as I would enter the readings online and it would give me an immediate amount owing. I'd then make the payment on their site.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2014, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
When I went back over the statement I realised that despite my providing meter readings on the 31st of December, they've estimated our bill up to the 10th of January and used THEIR figures on the Statement.

I wondered if anyone else had experience this because friends of ours have found their provider doing exactly the same thing!

Both their provider and ours say that they encourage us to give our monthly meter readings online & on-time to give us more control over our Energy expenditure but what's the point if they then fail to abide by our meter readings and base Statements on estimations?

Doesn't it all even out in the end though? eventually they must read the meter and you will get a refund or at least a very small bill if they have constantly over estimated the actual reading surely.

I once had a letter from the electric company complaining that the path was over grown and their reader had been unable to access the meter so they had made an estimate (It was slightly true there was a bit of foliage but I think it was the spider's web that put them off most). When they next read the meter the reading corrected their over estimate.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2014, 12:16 PM

Hey - look at this:-

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products...e-reduced.html

British Gas are actually reducing their prices !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Hey - look at this:-

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products...e-reduced.html

British Gas are actually reducing their prices !

Hmmmmm - they've been 'leaned on' by the Government to do this - wonder what the catch is??? - somehow British Gas will recover the additional cost to them for this price reduction, AND bear in mind the percentage reduction is far less than the percentage increase they imposed last Autumn.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce;401877[B
]Doesn't it all even out in the end though? eventually they must read the meter and you will get a refund or at least a very small bill if they have constantly over estimated the actual reading surely.[/B]

I once had a letter from the electric company complaining that the path was over grown and their reader had been unable to access the meter so they had made an estimate (It was slightly true there was a bit of foliage but I think it was the spider's web that put them off most). When they next read the meter the reading corrected their over estimate.

I'm with Steve on this one, they're crafty buggers and nearly always make sure the bills are over estimated in their favour. Trouble is, the winter bills are the worst in the first place without over estimating on top of that! Personally, I refuse to pay estimated bills whether its gas, elec, or water, I always give meter readings. My Mum's supplier (Eon) is the worst company I deal with because even when you've given them the readings, they send an estimate, so I don't pay that either, until they put it right, then I'll happily pay (well perhaps 'grudgingly pay' would be a better term )
Yes Bruce, you may well get in back in the long term, but not everybody can fork out the extra and wait a year to recoup it!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 12:25 AM

Talking of energy

Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 09:58 PM

I've been with EDF for a few years as they were then the cheapest provider however, since energy prices have soared, I checked several comparison sites, all said I'd save much more with N Power so I've switched! It's not a fixed contract so if I don't like the way they operate I can change but the dual fuel is fixed for 2 years so no increases, it's a no brainer really, plus cashback of £30 for dealing with a comparison company

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top