Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2014, 04:36 PM

Re: Say, "No" to Direct Debit

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
With variable bills like Electricity or Phone you agree to pay whatever the bill for that month or quarter happens to be so if they get the decimal point wrong and the phone bill is $2295 (instead of $22.95) that is what they deduct.
I agree to pay a monthly amount to cover my quarterly bill and that agreed amount is what I pay each month.
If they get it wrong (which hasn't happened yet) and they deduct the wrong amount they are obliged by law and the Direct Debit Guarantee to refund it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2014, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
I agree to pay a monthly amount to cover my quarterly bill and that agreed amount is what I pay each month.
If they get it wrong (which hasn't happened yet) and they deduct the wrong amount they are obliged by law and the Direct Debit Guarantee to refund it.

Maybe so Pats, but the time delay between them deducting it in the first place and them refunding you that amount could be disasterous for your own financial health.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2014, 11:28 AM

We pay Direct Debit too and have done so for years.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Maybe so Pats, but the time delay between them deducting it in the first place and them refunding you that amount could be disasterous for your own financial health.
Well it's never happened to me yet so I will continue to do what has been secure and convenient to me for many years without any problems.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2014, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Well it's never happened to me yet so I will continue to do what has been secure and convenient to me for many years without any problems.
Same here Pats.

Aren't the government supposed to be looking into why people who don't pay D/D should be charged so much more for the priviledge of paying by cheque?
I think this is wrong too. My Mother doesn't trust D/D and will only pay by cheque, and I do think its wrong people who choose to pay this way are charged extra.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2014, 02:50 PM

I much prefer to pay by Direct Debit, it's safe, you never need forget a payment, I bank online and have control over my account, there's never any nasty surprises and no problems either
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2014, 04:31 PM

Hungary is still very much a cash society. In fact I don't think banks issue cheque books. Like evryone else I pay all my utility bills in cash to the postman which is very convenient as I only have to walk to my front gate. My debit card is only used to draw money from the ATM or to pay for anything I buy online.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top