Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Bleeding Solicitors

The sods charge me £140 an hour +VAT to answer stupid questions.

Do you have a structural report on the flying freehold?-Search me it was built around 1790.

Can you provide listed building consent for the French doors?

No they were probably put in about 100 years ago-this house was listed in 1986.

Someone is getting rich.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 06:22 PM

Re: Bleeding Solicitors

Think it's all FENSA related, ours are recent addition and anything after 2000 has to have buildings consent - think you may be ok there! I thought flying leaseholds were for adjoining properties... maybe not.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 06:30 PM

my property is leasehold unfortunately but no one has been around to collect payment for years so we don't know where we stand.
I'm house hunting at the moment and hope I don't have major issues with my home but I'm expecting it's not going to be plain sailing!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 06:40 PM

Strange, Honey, they're usually on the ball with that sort of thing. The solicitor will find out if you sell, I expect. You might get a backdated bill. We had a couple of houses that were leasehold and the ground rent was only £7.00 per annum so we left it for a couple of years each time before we paid it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 11:02 PM

Solicitors are not my favourite people either .
A few years ago I thought I needed the help of a solicitor to sort out a legal matter (applying for letters of administration). Having paid two visits to his office and waited three months the matter was still not resolved so I found out what was required and sorted the whole thing out myself in a day.
I also sent a letter of complaint to the senior partner at the legal practice saying I had been greatly inconvenienced and would not be paying for their services. I never heard another word from them .
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 11:42 PM

Solicitors, they bleed you dry...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
my property is leasehold unfortunately but no one has been around to collect payment for years so we don't know where we stand.
I'm house hunting at the moment and hope I don't have major issues with my home but I'm expecting it's not going to be plain sailing!
If I may you do need to find out how much lease time is left on your property. The reason being any purchaser wanting a mortgage the mortgage company won't lend under a certain amount of time left. Therefore if your is a fairly short lease, around 70 years or so(in my sons case) it may need to be renewed to a minimum of 99 years. My son had the same problem when buying his flat. Even so it would not hurt to ask any mortgage company on this point, after all you don't want to loose a prospective purchaser just because of this
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 05:44 PM

Very irritating I agree and any decent solicitor would guess that you wouldn't be able to answer these questions and guide you through the options. But the market is on the move and conveyancing solicitors short on the ground and under a lot of pressure. I think you are being asked because the solicitor can cover his/her back - ever heard of risk averse?

I think you'll find the purchaser's solicitors are raising these queries. If I was buying a house I would certainly want to know about flying freeholds and listed building consent.

Of course if you can't provide the information the purchaser's solicitors will simply suggest indemnity insurance - about £100, worth paying to shut them up!

Originally Posted by Older git ->
The sods charge me £140 an hour +VAT to answer stupid questions.

Do you have a structural report on the flying freehold?-Search me it was built around 1790.

Can you provide listed building consent for the French doors?

No they were probably put in about 100 years ago-this house was listed in 1986.

Someone is getting rich.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 07:58 PM

Of course if you can't provide the information the purchaser's solicitors will simply suggest indemnity insurance - about £100, worth paying to shut them up!

Thank you for that-well worth knowing.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2014, 08:23 AM

What would we do without solicitors? Where would most of our wonderful, competent and popular politicians come from? It amazes me that they go for a meagre MP's salary when they could 'earn' so much more in their chosen profession.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top