Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 08:49 PM

Re: Savings Interest Rates

We're still at tad too young for the 'Crumbly' bonds. Perhaps when I'm 65, I'll buy some. Till then, I just might spend some more savings on holidays.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
info here Mups

Thanks Honey, I'll have a read.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I've been with them for many years and like the way they do business, they've always been very helpful, I do most of my banking online and have different accounts with them, one being the Flexclusive saver which gives a higher interest rate than others as its' tiered so because I've been a member for more that 15 years I get the best rate in town

I've been a member for 38 years Honey, but they said I couldn't have a better rate than the 15 year one. I thought it was asking though.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
We're still at tad too young for the 'Crumbly' bonds. Perhaps when I'm 65, I'll buy some. Till then, I just might spend some more savings on holidays.
Good idea! If only I could have a week of sun every 2 months. Must be wonderful to have a holiday home either in Portugal or Spain and go whenever you want. I don't think the interest on any of my savings will run to that
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've been a member for 38 years Honey, but they said I couldn't have a better rate than the 15 year one. I thought it was asking though.
that's true, the higher rate is only applicable for members of 15 years standing, I too have been with them much longer than that but couldn't squeeze any more out of 'em!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2015, 11:00 AM

Well I've had a reply from another Secure Message that I sent the Nationwide yesterday - they managed to answer quicker than they have done in the past.

I was right in my interpretation of Terms & Conditions on the Flexclusive Cash ISA - I can't tranfer-in my existing Web ISA into it.

I will therefore do as I originally thought and open a Flexclusive Cash ISA as soon as I have the cash to spare as at least I'll get 1.5% which my Web ISA still gives me until 31st January. stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Diamond Lady ->
Any ideas in where, if you do have a decent amount of money to invest? I wouldn't pay for a so called IFA, as from experience I don't believe they are independent in the end. Interest rates on anything 'safe' seem to be 4% tops as in the new Pensioner Bonds, which from a quick look, you can only invest 10k per person.
My wife's 65 now so she asked me to look at these too as her ISA's only getting 1.25% but I also noticed that the interest is gross.

For her it's not a problem as she only has her State Pension and a small private pension so she'd probably not have to pay any tax but you could end up getting just 3.2% maximum.

Better than most ISAs but is it really worth it tying up your savings for a piddling bit of interest that could end up going to the kids?!

It was impossible to get on this site when we tried though so we thought bugger that anyway - when I retire in we'll spend it on ourselves!

Only 600 days as of today!! stevmk2
billclay
west Yorkshire
billclay is male  billclay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 06:22 PM

if my premium bonds come up and I win a million I will be looking for crew for my yacht, anyone interested?, bearing in mind I haven't actually won it yet.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
My wife's 65 now so she asked me to look at these too as her ISA's only getting 1.25% but I also noticed that the interest is gross.

For her it's not a problem as she only has her State Pension and a small private pension so she'd probably not have to pay any tax but you could end up getting just 3.2% maximum.

Better than most ISAs but is it really worth it tying up your savings for a piddling bit of interest that could end up going to the kids?!

It was impossible to get on this site when we tried though so we thought bugger that anyway - when I retire in we'll spend it on ourselves!

Only 600 days as of today!! stevmk2
I'm not eligible for the Pension Bonds as yet, so will probably miss out. We're just looking for a small return to go somewhere towards 2 holidays each year, so that we take the minimum out of the capital. We need to keep as much as possible for shortfalls in bills and in case one of us pops off first, as of course there will be an even larger shortfall.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire

19-01-2015, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by billclay ->
if my premium bonds come up and I win a million I will be looking for crew for my yacht, anyone interested?, bearing in mind I haven't actually won it yet.
Count me in !! I may buy some Premium Bonds and keep them for 12 months, as a bit of fun. Always nice to dream each month and saves on buying Lottery tickets, not that I do very often!!

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top