Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 03:48 AM

Women's early pension?

I am separated from my wife, but we are still on good, friendly terms. She is even more of a technophobe than me, and has asked me to find some information.

She is 58, and was looking forwards to retiring.
Now she has found that instead of retiring at 60, she will have to wait till she is 66, which does not please her

For a private or occupational pension you can sometimes take your pension early if you accept a lower payment - this is the actuarial reduction.
But normally the State Retirement Pension, aka the Old Age Pension is fixed

However she has heard that as there are many women who are similarly annoyed about waiting so long to take their State Pension that the DWP might allow them to take it early, albeit slightly reduced.
Does anyone know anything about this?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 07:10 AM

Re: Women's early pension?

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I am separated from my wife, but we are still on good, friendly terms. She is even more of a technophobe than me, and has asked me to find some information.

She is 58, and was looking forwards to retiring.
Now she has found that instead of retiring at 60, she will have to wait till she is 66, which does not please her

For a private or occupational pension you can sometimes take your pension early if you accept a lower payment - this is the actuarial reduction.
But normally the State Retirement Pension, aka the Old Age Pension is fixed

However she has heard that as there are many women who are similarly annoyed about waiting so long to take their State Pension that the DWP might allow them to take it early, albeit slightly reduced.
Does anyone know anything about this?
There's a thread on here about Women's Pensions I started. "PMQ about pensions for women"
Your wife can join the fight by following WASPI on Facebook.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 08:46 AM

I can only speak for myself as i has originally planned to retire this year but cant untill im 67 with a pension. So i asked if i could take a lump sum but i cant as ive not reached 67 . It may be different for women though.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 10:19 AM

It's State Pension that WASPI are campaigning about Nom, they've changed it too quickly, women haven't had time to adjust and lots had no notification at all. Mine went from 60 to 65 and 7 months, I didn't even know about it until I saw it on PMQS
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
It's State Pension that WASPI are campaigning about Nom, they've changed it too quickly, women haven't had time to adjust and lots had no notification at all. Mine went from 60 to 65 and 7 months, I didn't even know about it until I saw it on PMQS
Yes i know but its also been delayed for men, not as much i agree, but it was put out a while back and it was done to equalize men and womens retirement.

I never noticed anyone complaining about mens retirement 5 years later even though there lifespan was usually less than womens. Any change had to cause some problems. Its just a way to try and reduce the pension payments with more of us living longer.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Yes i know but its also been delayed for men, not as much i agree, but it was put out a while back and it was done to equalize men and womens retirement.

I never noticed anyone complaining about mens retirement 5 years later even though there lifespan was usually less than womens. Any change had to cause some problems. Its just a way to try and reduce the pension payments with more of us living longer.

Yes, I agree. As I said elsewhere, the scientists work on ways to prolong human life well into old age, then the government don't like it when it works!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 12:09 PM

This will affect my wife too.
For all her working life she has been under the impression that she'll qualify for state pension at 60. Now, however, it transpires that it will be 67.

What makes it seem worse for her is that, as I am nine years older than her, I shall still qualify for state pension at 65 (in a year in August), as it has always been.

Perhaps it will all change again after we have left the EU!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

26-04-2016, 01:55 PM

It's not so much the change to bring us in line with men, it's the speed of the change, not keeping us informed and changing it from about 18 months to five years or more. As long as we've paid in the qualifying amount of NI stamps they should have let us draw our pensions.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
It's not so much the change to bring us in line with men, it's the speed of the change, not keeping us informed and changing it from about 18 months to five years or more. As long as we've paid in the qualifying amount of NI stamps they should have let us draw our pensions.
I agree.
And so does my wife!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

26-04-2016, 02:05 PM

There's a petition to sign and lots of ways to get heard, writing to MP'S etc. The more people we get involved the better. It won't only affect our age group but men and women in the future.
I have the feeling that the pension will vanish eventually and only people who have health problems or money will be able to stop working.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top