Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 06:42 AM

Re: Teachers working long hours

Depends on how you view work, time and motion don't work on a calling.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 02:14 PM

Drive to Heathrow
Fly Heathrow to Schiphol
Fly Schiphol to Galećo (Rio International)
Taxi direct to office in Botafogo work till around midnight
THEN back to flat 'till 08:00 next morning and taxi to office.
Work till around midnight and repeat every day for seven days and three weeks until return home for about five days (10 days Christmas)

Wife and kids come out for their holiday.

Do that for 18 months.

Now tell me about long hours.

Mind you, it bloody near killed me!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Drive to Heathrow
Fly Heathrow to Schiphol
Fly Schiphol to Galećo (Rio International)
Taxi direct to office in Botafogo work till around midnight
THEN back to flat 'till 08:00 next morning and taxi to office.
Work till around midnight and repeat every day for seven days and three weeks until return home for about five days (10 days Christmas)

Wife and kids come out for their holiday.

Do that for 18 months.

Now tell me about long hours.
We had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before we went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
We had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before we went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'
Very funny, but I'm being serious. It was one of the most onerous contracts that I ever had. Very well paid, but it left its mark.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 10:55 PM

Very funny, but I'm being serious. It was one of the most onerous contracts that I ever had. Very well paid, but it left its mark.
It would - that was a very punishing schedule!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 11:01 PM

Some folks graft for little financial gain, very few granted, that's the gain, not the graft, it's all relative.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 08:41 PM

One thing that is overlooked is that teachers have nowhere to run and hide when they're in front of a class of children. There's no taking a breather or deciding to have a bit of a quiet lesson for a change (giving the children a test instead of teaching them is fool's gold, since the hour or so of doing this is immediately lost by the simple fact that these tests need to be marked, which usually takes far longer than an hour).

Not all, but many other jobs do allow one to take one's foot off the pedal for a few minutes for a quick re-charge of the batteries or to ave a quick and undisturbed moment to reflect/think. Not possible in front of a class!!

As for the lengthy holidays, there is an argument that suggests that teachers could possibly earn far more money if they had decided to enter other professions, and therefore are paid pro-rata for 39 weeks pa. This view is one that I suspect will be shot down in flames by many on here, but I throw it into the pot anyway.

Teachers don't decide to work for 39 weeks of the year. This is set by historical norms. Teachers are contracted to complete 1265 hours of work pa, which has been spread into 39 weeks (195 day, of which 190 are allocated for direct contact with pupils). Obviously, 1265 is rarely enough to complete all of the work which is expected of them and most teachers work above this time allowance.

Personally, I think there's a strong case for the number of days to increase, with a shorter amount of working hours per day. How this would impact on the childminding aspect of the process (while parents are at work safe in the knowledge that their offspring are being kept safe and supervised for all but an hour or so of the non-overlap times) would be an issue. Unless, heaven forbid, extra provision is provided more or less solely for babysitting purposes.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-09-2019, 10:17 PM

1820 hours is the standard, if I remember right, any more should be discretionary.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
1820 hours is the standard, if I remember right, any more should be discretionary.
1265 hours is the contracted time (unless it's been changed).

1820 hours over 195 days would mean 9.3 hours per day.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-09-2019, 10:40 PM

That is for usual trades, who get standard paid holidays.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top