Join for free
Page 13 of 26 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 11:39 AM

Re: Does being a good human being matter to you?

Not feeding someone is cheaper than feeding them.

I see that you've not responded to my comments about victims who may benefit enormously from an execution taking place.

I refute that all progress is good, which is what you seem to imply.

There are cases where the evidence is 100% safe, and in these situations the argument about miscarriages doesn't apply.

It's also far more cruel to lock someone up for life with no hope of ever being released. You seem to prefer that they suffer this eternal torture and that victims' families live unnecessarily in a form of hell. For you, this is less savage than releasing all parties concerned from this purgatory on earth.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 01:03 PM

Well having read that lot it comes as no surprise or concern to me that I have very little in the way of humanity in my makeup.

Banging some POS like Huntley in a modern day oubliette while his psyche dissolves into a total window kicked concerns me not one iota nor does that knowledge that for him this would be punishment continuing into oblivion. Execution would be to let him and his sort off far too lightly. Make them SUFFER.

For things such as the killers of Lee Rigby I would be quite content for them to be put in an Alcatraz style cell - for ever. Give them basic food that falls into the category of halal, even a copy of the Qur'an, even periods of association while in restraints, but only in designated mozzie jail's.

For other offenders who have committed offences "against the person" I'd like to see corporal punishment restored and prison regimes to include punishment rather than occupational therapy as the basis.

Otherwise more use made of community service including something like chain gangs.

Finally to see prisoners having to pay for their incarceration utilising something along the lines of student loans.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Not feeding someone is cheaper than feeding them.

I see that you've not responded to my comments about victims who may benefit enormously from an execution taking place.

I refute that all progress is good, which is what you seem to imply.

There are cases where the evidence is 100% safe, and in these situations the argument about miscarriages doesn't apply.

It's also far more cruel to lock someone up for life with no hope of ever being released. You seem to prefer that they suffer this eternal torture and that victims' families live unnecessarily in a form of hell. For you, this is less savage than releasing all parties concerned from this purgatory on earth.

Not feeding someone is a small marginal costs in comparison to the massive fixed costs of a prison. Those fixed costs won't be dented at all by one or two inmates, but you will have to offset with the costs that go with the execution, including non financial costs. It's not something you can just measure in a paragraph but it's not as simple as many seem to think. Overall, the way these things go there is likely to be increased cost from executions.

I am not thinking of the feelings of the victim or the prisoner here. They are many and varied. My views are that morally society should not have blood on its hands.

It's not whether the majority of convictions are correct, it's the risk that you get one or two wrong and you cannot then bring someone back to life.

All progress is progress. Good or bad, it's a learning experience. From past experience executions do not prevent terrible crimes from happening. Otherwise we would not have the level of violence we have in the US.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 02:38 PM

Costs of execution. .

What are these ?

Not 30 years on death row as in America but the actual cost of execution .

This is what it costs to euthanise a horse .

Fee charged for the actual euthanasia and visit (where required). Currently Bell Equine charges £79.17 (+ VAT) for using a gun, plus sedation (usually £35-40 + VAT).

Euthanasia by lethal injection costs £181.25 (+ VAT), for Thoroughbred sized horses (possibly more for a heavier horse) plus sedation (again usually £35-40 + VAT).

So sedation lethal injection and VAT come to less than £250

A human is smaller than a horse so will take less euthanasia.

The executioner is paid a daily rate .

Disposal costs must be figured in if the family don’t want him .

But it would be less than £1000

Nope it definitely costs less to execute a murderer than keeping him cooped up forever .
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's not whether the majority of convictions are correct, it's the risk that you get one or two wrong and you cannot then bring someone back to life.

All progress is progress. Good or bad, it's a learning experience. From past experience executions do not prevent terrible crimes from happening. Otherwise we would not have the level of violence we have in the US.
Well said, that man.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Costs of execution. .

What are these ?

Not 30 years on death row as in America but the actual cost of execution .

This is what it costs to euthanise a horse .

Fee charged for the actual euthanasia and visit (where required). Currently Bell Equine charges £79.17 (+ VAT) for using a gun, plus sedation (usually £35-40 + VAT).

Euthanasia by lethal injection costs £181.25 (+ VAT), for Thoroughbred sized horses (possibly more for a heavier horse) plus sedation (again usually £35-40 + VAT).

So sedation lethal injection and VAT come to less than £250

A human is smaller than a horse so will take less euthanasia.

The executioner is paid a daily rate .

Disposal costs must be figured in if the family don’t want him .

But it would be less than £1000

Nope it definitely costs less to execute a murderer than keeping him cooped up forever .
But it doesn't deliver the same punishment. I want those like Huntley to suffer long and strong. I want them to be psychologically slowly and totally destroyed.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
But some folks get rich, and propel the economy.
Depends HOW they got rich Spitty imo?
Donkeyman!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
But it doesn't deliver the same punishment. I want those like Huntley to suffer long and strong. I want them to be psychologically slowly and totally destroyed.
That won’t happen in prison and anyway it’s an expensive luxury .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

04-10-2019, 03:04 PM

The death penalty is despite all arguments to the contrary a deterrent .

Everyone is afraid of death ,it’s the first human instinct .

A murderer who is executed never murders again .

It also gives some sort of closure to the family of the victim .

Unlike the murderers family who can visit in in jail they can only visit their murdered loved one in the cemetery and will suffer everlasting grief .
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

Not 30 years on death row as in America
Not just USA. Check out Japan.

Page 13 of 26 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top