Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 06:10 PM

Handling money.

Why are some people so bad at handling it?

I speak from experience !..

You tell me what you think first?

Im sure my brain was programmed to spend money,

I also found that the small things add up.....

I would hate to be broke,live from one day to the next...I have done though...many years ago.

It's not a life IMO,it's just an existence...miserable one at that...

Get ones priorities right..is it then possible to save?
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 08:18 PM

Re: Handling money.

Hi. Just lately I have spent a bit on my new pastime of experimenting with acrylic paints, Luckily I took no notice of my doctors and now have a job so I have a little spare money to spend on my new hobby. Trouble is now I dont have the spare time as much.
I try keep a close eye on my money and know whats for bills and food and whats for fun.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 08:22 PM

Well done MC on getting a new job

It's good to know you have a new hobby too
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Hi. Just lately I have spent a bit on my new pastime of experimenting with acrylic paints, Luckily I took no notice of my doctors and now have a job so I have a little spare money to spend on my new hobby. Trouble is now I dont have the spare time as much.
I try keep a close eye on my money and know whats for bills and food and whats for fun.

Hey MC,nice to see you back.

Yes,I know what you mean...my hobby is cooking..I spend quite a bit on that.

The point is...one needs to bank money for a rainy day...if they prioritise ,it can be done...

The problem with some people is...they want it now....then end up paying for the next few years.

Some can't wait...to save for it.

Can you post some pics of your new hobby?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Why are some people so bad at handling it?

I speak from experience !..

You tell me what you think first?

Im sure my brain was programmed to spend money,

I also found that the small things add up.....

I would hate to be broke,live from one day to the next...I have done though...many years ago.

It's not a life IMO,it's just an existence...miserable one at that...

Get ones priorities right..is it then possible to save?
WANTS NEEDS
5% 95%

AND KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!

Donkeyman!
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 10:27 PM

The best way to not mishandle money is not to have any. The good thing about not having any is nobody is trying to beat you out of it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 06:47 AM

I have always managed money pretty well but the nice thing about retirement is that there is no future to save for so it's spend, spend spend...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
The best way to not mishandle money is not to have any. The good thing about not having any is nobody is trying to beat you out of it.
That has never worked for me. I just got it elsewhere on credit cards and loans.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 11:21 AM

For most of my life I had very little and came from a family that had very little so I learned to make do and mend . I know how it feels to feel cold I know it feels to eat cheap foods and buy cheap. Once you have come from there you know how to not go back to that situation . As an older retired person I consider myself rich as I get my state pension each week . I can eat well and keep warm . I even run a car . I dont buy unnecessary things and I'm not overly materialistic. I have never been in debt because if I didn't have the money I did without.

My kids earn fantastic money with well.paid jobs have lovely homes and absolutely everything they want or desire, money goes through their fingers and they have credit card debt too . There is no saving for tomorrow or just in case .

I guess I'm just easily pleased .
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 10:18 PM

I think that we learn a lot, about handling money, by not having any for long periods of time.

If you've had to work long hours, just to break even, you begin to respect it - not waste it.

The start of Credit cards made it all go wrong, in my opinion, and then all of the cheap loan companies made it worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top