Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 06:07 PM

HSBC Advance

Hi

I have an HSBC Advance Account, which I pay for monthly.

The last few weeks an avalanche of Emails which have reduced the benefits massively.

It is only worth keeping for the Travel Insurance, after that, not worth it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 10:50 AM

Re: HSBC Advance

Yep, banks are really turning the screws now Swim.
I keep getting emails from my bank telling me how much the interest rate is diminishing....It won't be long before I'm paying them to look after my money. When that time comes I'll draw it all out and keep it under the floorboards....

I've been wondering if buying gold isn't the way to go?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 05:31 PM

NS&I are offering the top rate at the moment .

1% in their direct saver
1.15% in their income bonds

I should watch that travel insurance Swims if you go abroad to a country that is listed as unsafe ie Spain it will be null and void
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yep, banks are really turning the screws now Swim.
I keep getting emails from my bank telling me how much the interest rate is diminishing....It won't be long before I'm paying them to look after my money. When that time comes I'll draw it all out and keep it under the floorboards....

I've been wondering if buying gold isn't the way to go?
Never quite sure how you buy physical gold other than as a necklace .

Krugerands used to be a way you will have to keep them under the floorboards too - don’t trust banks they lose stuff !

I have some money in Blackrock Gold and General Fund which has gone up in the last few months - in fact 40% since April . It invests in gold mining companies

However funds can go down as well as up and gold mines are notoriously volatile.

It’s a gamble

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	5DCF0E91-14DF-4664-A156-096E23DC05A4.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	13380  
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Never quite sure how you buy physical gold other than as a necklace .

Krugerands used to be a way you will have to keep them under the floorboards too - don’t trust banks they lose stuff !

I have some money in Blackrock Gold and General Fund which has gone up in the last few months - in fact 40% since April . It invests in gold mining companies

However funds can go down as well as up and gold mines are notoriously volatile.

It’s a gamble
Thanks Muddy, I shall chase that one up for future investment...I'll wait until the price drops.....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

29-07-2020, 10:14 AM

There was an article on this in today’s mail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/in...s-bullion.html
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

29-07-2020, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
There was an article on this in today’s mail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/in...s-bullion.html
Thanks Muddy very interesting. I think coins are the way to go instead of bonds or shares, I'd rather have the shiny stuff in my hands but not confident about storage......Perhaps a safe in the floor......Oh bugger! now everyone will know where I keep them....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top