Join for free
Page 3 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 08:04 PM

Re: Brexit - Can you ever please both sides?

Originally Posted by summer ->
I don't think we will leave.... truly I think there is no chance of it. The referendum will be ignored excuses will be made that it wasn't but we won't leave ... well not in the way the referendum meant us to.
If we delay Article 50 and go back to the drawing board to agree a longer transition period and a more sensible plan then we will leave. If we insist on pushing through a poorly and shabbily thought through deal then there will be chaos and inertia. None of the countries who have left the EU or trade outside the EU are doing what we propose. Who would have envisaged Ireland would be such a problem.

Article 50 should be withdrawn and resubmitted when we are ready to leave without disruption. The current chaos is awful.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 08:13 PM

I don't think we will leave.... truly I think there is no chance of it. The referendum will be ignored excuses will be made that it wasn't but we won't leave ... well not in the way the referendum meant us to.
I'm beginning to think you're right.

However, if we don't leave due to irresponsible politicians and other remoaners, I'm afraid that the consequences are dire.

For one thing, 17.4 people who have been not only ignored but slapped in the face will not forgive them. It wouldn't surprise me if there are many complaints if not actual riots. In addition, the Conservatives can say goodbye to government for at least one term if not many more.

The other likely outcome is that the EU will collapse sooner or later anyway, as I have heard that there is still very much of a distaste amongst some member countries about what they have suffered since the organisation morphed from a free-trade union to a political dictatorship.

Of course, in the long term, our remaining in the EU will mean that when things do go tits-up, we shall partially carry the can.

I have decided as there is nothing I can do about it, I shall just have to accept what our rulers decide to do. To be honest, again due to poor government, the country is going to the dogs anyway: inadequate transport infrastructure, ineffective policing and judiciary, the imminent collapse of the NHS, and continued out-of-control immigration.

I'm just grateful that Marge and I are knocking on a bit now and that we have no children.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
None of the countries who have left the EU
Go on, then. Which countries have left the EU?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Go on, then. Which countries have left the EU?
That was precisely my point. Nobody has completely left. In fact Switzerland, Norway etc are worse off in many ways in the arrangements they have. It's better to be in and a major player and force through changes than a daisy on the grass verge.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 08:33 PM

That was precisely my point. Nobody has completely left. In fact Switzerland, Norway etc are worse off in many ways in the arrangements they have. It's better to be in and a major player and force through changes than a daisy on the grass verge.
Be in something you don't believe in? A Federal Europe with its own army ruled by a set of people who have no affinity to the UK.... what would be the advantages of that? We would end up in perpetual conflict and the thing is the idiots we have representing us there would probably agree to anything not to upset the gravy train they were on. We need to leave.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-01-2019, 08:38 PM

Be in something you don't believe in? A Federal Europe with its own army ruled by a set of people who have no affinity to the UK.... what would be the advantages of that? We would end up in perpetual conflict and the thing is the idiots we have representing us there would probably agree to anything not to upset the gravy train they were on. We need to leave.
Change it to what we want it to be. We are a major player and there are other countries who feel the same. We should be throwing out weight around.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 08:52 PM

Change it to what we want it to be. We are a major player and there are other countries who feel the same. We should be throwing out weight around.
Nope we arn't a major player not in the least not when Germany and the brown nosers France club together...
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 09:00 PM

Cameron went over asking for minor changes prior to the referendum. They were arrogant and gave him nothing - hence the reason we're here now.

How are we going to change that dictatorship?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
YEP! you got it wrong, the majority of the voting public did not vote to leave the EU.
Err yep they did. i.e. The majority of those that DID vote, voted to Leave the EU. End of.

Originally Posted by itsme ->
In fact, over 23 million people did not vote to leave the EU,
And equally, over 23 million people did not vote to stay in the EU.

Your points are completely moot.

The entire voting public had the opportunity to vote in what was the most important, life changing vote in the history of the country. Of those that bothered, 17.4m voted Leave, and only 16m voted Stay.

So, we will Leave.

Suck it up.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 09:30 PM

Here is something to put a smile on the Brexiteers faces

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...47144150467669

Page 3 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top