Join for free
Page 14 of 29 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 01:47 PM

Re: Anyone prepping for an Oct No-Deal?

Originally Posted by breezy452 ->
Hi folks - this is my very, very, very first post - yippy

I have been reading the posts in this thread with real intrigue. I live on the other side of the world in NZ where we are not directly affected but all this angst brings back solid memories of what happened to New Zealand when the UK entered the Common Market 40 years ago??

I remember how concerned our small nation was back then as we were almost literally the "pantry to the UK" in those days. All our food exports - mostly animal products - were sold almost exclusively to the UK - talk about having "all our eggs in one basket". So many NZ families were involved in farming or support services - everyone was very worried and our govt at the time tried to negotiate a soft landing - "sound familiar"? I was only in my early teens at the time but I can still remember my parents discussing it's impact just as you folk in the UK are currently experiencing.

I don't remember the finer details (14 year olds are focused on other things at that age) but I'm guessing there wasn't much of a "soft landing" - as by the early 80s this country was close to bankruptcy and on the verge of loan defaulting. In 1984 the Labour govt was swept into power in a landslide and got to work stripping away every farming subsidy it could find and privatising every thing it could to save our bacon. They were massively hard times and there was enormous economic pain as we said bye bye to the UK markets and had get very enterprising very quickly - it really was sink or swim for the nation at that time.

The end result of all that pain was a country that now stands on it's own two feet economically and has been one of the top economic performers in the world especially since the GFC. I think we learned so much from those bad years that we are now especially good at negotiating free trade agreements and getting rid of red tape etc. NZ is now considered in the top three most competitive countries in the world to do business - ahead of Singapore - which is some achievement. That doesn't mean that we haven't got many social and low pay related issues still to solve but our experience is that going it alone is not all doom and gloom and it certainly won't be for the UK either. The right decision was definitely made back in 2016 to leave in my personal opinion, but there will be alot of pain to get to the point we have over the last 40 years. Many of you may not see the longterm benefits in your lifetimes - but what an amazing gift you will be leaving for your grandchildren and their children in the years ahead. Thinking of you all right now - chins up and keep believing.

Is that why NZ is so tremendously glad to close a free trade deal with the EU?
Quote: The EU is our biggest source of imports, and is our third-largest export market.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...SAAEgKgC_D_BwE

By the way, the UK is not part of that deal.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 06:44 PM

At this rate it's never going to happen anyway. Some news is saying EU may offer another extension!

A lot of stalling and messing about going on, some of these things they're voting for in parliament should have already voted for/sorted last year given the original leaving date was the end of March!

I know some of the news items are 'fake' and just people trying to stir things up. I tend to go on what's mentioned on programs like Newsnight or Peston where he interviews the Govt officials and '6 months or up to 6 months disruption' has been mentioned before.

To be honest I don't trust the Tories to look after anyone but themselves and with Boris in charge of the country (whose new best buddy is Donald Trump eagerly waiting in the wings to send us chlorinated chicken and hormone pumped beef!) it's anyone's guess where we're going to end up!
breezy452
New Member!
Auckland, NZ
breezy452 is male 

20-07-2019, 09:46 PM

I'd say, like everything in business, it's all about timing - on both sides of the negotiating table right now. As we've found out over the last 40 years , being a small country is not always an impediment to progress and advantage. We have always been used as a "testing ground" for all sorts of things over the years from negotiations through to product releases, etc. Being a economic microcosm (first world, wealthy, small population etc - international companies and organisations "try out" all kinds of things here before they roll them out world wide - and that includes things like free trade agreements. That why China did their first free trade agreement with us. It was experimental for them really at that stage).
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 10:50 AM

I'm all set.
Bought 200 tins of spam yesterday - bring it on....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
I'm all set.
Hi

Ryanair have brought things forward.

No duty free fags and booze at Polish Airports they own.

No great shakes, just pay for an extra bag for the fags and buy them in the Supermarkets.

The booze is different, HGVs are out.

A Transit Van full is still sailing through with no checks.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
I'm all set.
I've got some morrisons tinned chicken and princes tinned chicken with stuffing in, in boxes with tinned potatoes and veg, tins of meatballs already in a sauce. stewed steak, sachets of mash (different flavours) even dry vegeburger kits tinned fruit and carnation milk, crackers and spreads etc along with bags of dried pasta and rice but most items I've tried to get things that would warm through quickly on a camping stove (so not using too much fuel in one go) in case of power cuts too, especially over winter when I'd need to boiling more water for flasks of hot tea and hot water bottles to keep warm!

In a way a March no deal would have been better cos most people would be outside so cooking stuff on BBQ's and having sandwiches wouldn't be so bad when its not freezing cold anyway.

It will make it harder if its near xmas for alot of families with kids and larger families to feed xmas day. Especially if you combine food shortages caused by brexit then really bad weather on top of that causing further shortages and delays and people unable to get out to get any food in (food delivery services cancel round here if its snows or ice is bad cos of conditions on the winding narrow country lanes).

There's an high proportion of elderly and disabled in the surrounding rural villages (myself included as my arthritis gets bad in freezing weather and I couldn't get out safely myself either to the nearest shop even if there was any food left in it!). If you add to that prescription deliveries not able to get through snowy lanes to people or the small village chemist not able to receive people's medications, due to either weather or brexit shortages it's a recipe for disaster really!!! ... I can understand it causing fear for many people for its potential to make a 'bad winter' much worse for them.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 11:36 AM

I'm about to get another 36 bottles of Chateu Neuf du Pape but I'll probably run out before October 31st
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

21-07-2019, 08:49 PM

How can you be so sure?
At the time the emphasized position of the leave campaign was that a deal was going to be quick, simple and even better than being in the EU. That was the repeated and confirmed position of the leave side. What brilliant inside did you have and from where?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by gascony ->
How can you be so sure?
At the time the emphasized position of the leave campaign was that a deal was going to be quick, simple and even better than being in the EU. That was the repeated and confirmed position of the leave side. What brilliant inside did you have and from where?
It would have been if the EU stopped being a bunch of dickheads. All they have done is behave like children, insulted our country, our government and the people who voted in the referendum.

Now they are faced with no deal and Ireland becoming the vassal state they were trying to turn the UK into.

39 billion is off the table as well - so you go bankrupt on 1st November 2019.

What great negotiators your unelected masters are, and to think you could have had a comprehensive FTA with the 2nd biggest contributor in the EU and the 5th largest economy in the world, a country that has been out performing all the other 27 countries of the EU for the past 3 years.

Epic failure ....

Bye !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
It would have been if the EU stopped being a bunch of dickheads. All they have done is behave like children, insulted our country, our government and the people who voted in the referendum.

Now they are faced with no deal and Ireland becoming the vassal state they were trying to turn the UK into.

39 billion is off the table as well - so you go bankrupt on 1st November 2019.

What great negotiators your unelected masters are, and to think you could have had a comprehensive FTA with the 2nd biggest contributor in the EU and the 5th largest economy in the world, a country that has been out performing all the other 27 countries of the EU for the past 3 years.

Epic failure ....

Bye !

Page 14 of 29 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top